Whonix VirtualBox 15.0.0.8.9 - Testers Wanted!

Testers Wanted!

Download the Testers-Only version of Whonix for VirtualBox:

Alternatively, in-place release upgrade is possible upgrade using Whonix testers repository.

This release would not have been possible without the numerous supporters of Whonix!

Please Donate!

Please Contribute!

Notable Changes

• VirtualBox:
    • Had to increase Whonix-Gateway default RAM to 1280 MB. Otherwise VirtualBox guest additions kernel modules would fail to compile.
  • i2p
    • preparation for installation of i2p by default
      • do not autostart i2p.service if installed
      • do not autostart privoxy.service if installed
      • do not autostart i2p.service in Qubes TemplateVM
      • do not autostart privoxy.service in Qubes TemplateVM
    • i2p is not yet installed by default because of this reason.
  • apparmor-profile-everything (not installed by default yet) enhancements
  • hardened-kernel (not installed by default yet) enhancements
  • first-boot-skel: fix /etc/skel/.bashrc to /home/user/.bashrc handling if home folder is completely empty
  • LKRG (not installed by default yet) enhancements
    • fix compilation using DKMS on kernel upgrade by adding support for make variable KERNELRELEASE (DKMS sets it)
    • Auto load LKRG after installation. Since LKRG now supports module parameters and VirtualBox host support, it can be automatically started after installation since it would no longer kill VirtualBox VMs running on a host.
  • security-misc:
  • tirdad
    • fix compilation using DKMS on kernel upgrade by adding support for make variable KERNELRELEASE (DKMS sets it)
  • usability-misc

It also includes the changes of the previous testers only version 8 days ago.

Full difference of all changes

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/compare/15.0.0.8.7-developers-only...15.0.0.8.9-developers-only

About Whonix

Whonix is being used by Edward Snowden, journalists such as Micah Lee, used by the Freedom of the Press Foundation and Qubes OS. It has a 7 years history of keeping its users safe from real world attacks. [1]

The split architecture of Whonix relies on leveraging virtualization technology as a sandbox for vulnerable user applications on endpoints. This is a widely known weakness exploited by entities that want to circumvent cryptography and system integrity. Our Linux distribution come with a wide selection of data protection tools and hardened applications for document/image publishing and communications. We are the first to deploy tirdad, which addresses the long known problem of CPU activity affecting TCP traffic properties in visible ways on the network and vanguards, an enhancement for Tor produced by the developers of Tor, which protects against guard discovery and related traffic analysis attacks. Live Mode was recently added. We deliver the first ever solutions for user behavior masking privacy protections such as Kloak. Kloak prevents websites from recognizing who the typist is by altering keystroke timing signatures that are unique to everyone.

In the future we plant to deploy a hardened Linux kernel with the minimal amount of modules needed to get the job done, an apparmor profile for the whole system, as well as LKRG, the Linux Kernel Runtime Guard, which kills whole classes of kernel exploits.

[1]

3 Likes

I may also add that another reason is also the Outdated Version in the Debian Buster Repo.
Users should also not install it later for that reason.

1 Like

WOW SORRY I AM USING Whonix XFCE 15.0.0.9.4 ! NOT 15.0.0.8.9
MY BAD

Maybe a little later but I am getting this (on picture).

What I have done to get thats?! (Following the biggest Whonix FAQ)

• Just have imported VM-Gateway on Virtual Box (in Debian sys).
  • Change Password
  • Updates
  • Remove rsyslog
  • Install ZeroFree (Its this cause the problem!)

Do a reboot to enter on Recovery Mode to Run final zerofree commands… Not ask to root/user password. Stops here.

Hope was only to me :wink:

EDITED

Well. Seems some time waiting. has booted.! And with so configs :wink: (zerofree job), because cant enter on recovery.
I am continue editing this

PS: I have done this on older version 15.0.8.7 succefully. on this version no

Whonix developers don’t create the VirtualBox host software. Whonix developers only create the VMs running inside VirtualBox. Nothing any VM is doing should be capable of crashing the VirtualBox host software. The is a VirtualBox host software bug. The only option to get this fixed is reporting this issue to the developers of VirtualBox. If you intent do so, please see:

See this:

1 Like