[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [CONTRIBUTE] [DONATE]

VirtualBox Live VM Problems

Hey,

I tried to run Whonix in Live Mode on VirtualBox 6.1 on Win10 but it will either warn me that it can still write on the disk or crash immediately…

I can change the .vdi with VBoxManage to immutable but it will still get
Live mode is enabled but it is still possible to write to the disk.[…]
When I try to change it to readonly, VBoxManage will output
VBoxManage.exe: error: Cannot change type for medium ‘C:\Users\X\VirtualBox VMs\Whonix-Workstation-XFCE\Whonix-XFCE-15.0.1.9.3-disk002.vdi’ since it has 2 child media

VBoxManage setextradata Whonix-Workstation-XFCE “VBoxInternal/Devices/lsilogicsas/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/Config/ReadOnly” 1
will work but crash the VM on startup with details:
Failed to construct device ‘lsilogicsas’ instance #0 (VERR_PDM_CFG_MISSING_DRIVER_NAME).
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Also updated and upgraded everything.

Windows 10 Pro Build 19043.1110
Whonix Build 15.0.1.9.3
VirtualBox Version: 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.2)

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox/Troubleshooting#Failed_to_open_a_session_for_the_virtual_machine?

Otherwise, try General VirtualBox Troubleshooting Steps.

Whonix doesn’t produce VirtualBox. Therefore if above doesn’t help:

I am trying to use Whonix in Live mode in VirtualBox. When I followed the pertinent VirtualBox instructions to set the drive read-only, it said to run this command:

VBoxManage setextradata Whonix-Workstation-XFCE “VBoxInternal/Devices/lsilogicsas/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/Config/ReadOnly” 1

I encountered this error when trying to start the virtual machine:

Failed to construct device ‘lsilogicsas’ instance #0 (VERR_PDM_CFG_MISSING_DRIVER_NAME).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

There is another post in ‘Support’ (which I cannot link to) that details the same problem, and suggests changing the controller type to ACHI in the virtual machine settings. However this did not work.

Ubuntu 18.04
VirtualBox version: 6.1.22 r144080
Whonix version: 15.0.1.9.3

Try General VirtualBox Troubleshooting Steps .

Whonix doesn’t produce VirtualBox. Therefore if above doesn’t help:

[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Contributors] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]