Qubes-Whonix 14 (4.0.1-201811291216) Point Release for Qubes R4

This is a point release.

A point release is not a separate, new version of Whonix. Instead, it is a re-release of Whonix which is inclusive of all updates up to a certain point.

Installing any version of Whonix 14 and fully updating it leads to a system which is identical to installing a Whonix point release.

If the Whonix installation is updated, no further action is required.

Regardless of the current installed version of Whonix, if users wish to install (or reinstall) Whonix for any reason, then the point release is a convenient and more secure method, since it bundles all Whonix updates that are available at that specific time.

Either:

2 Likes

it seems to be not uploaded " --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community" nor " --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing"

so where is it now?

Hi nurmagoz

Thats because you didn’t say the magic words…

sudo qubes-dom0-update

Then run install, reinstall, …

Install and reinstall works for me:

Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                     25 MB/s |  26 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package                     Arch   Version             Repository         Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 qubes-template-whonix-gw-14 noarch 4.0.1-201811291216  qubes-dom0-cached 498 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 498 M
Installed size: 1.9 G
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Installing  : qubes-template-whonix-gw-14-4.0.1-201811291216.noarch       1/1 
whonix-gw-14: Importing data
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-gw-14-4.0.1-201811291216.noarch       1/1 

Installed:
  qubes-template-whonix-gw-14.noarch 4.0.1-201811291216                         

Complete!

Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                     25 MB/s |  26 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
 Package                     Arch   Version             Repository         Size
Reinstalling:
 qubes-template-whonix-ws-14 noarch 4.0.1-201807171801  qubes-dom0-cached 672 M

Transaction Summary

Total size: 672 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Reinstalling: qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
whonix-ws-14: Importing data
  Erasing     : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 

Reinstalled:
  qubes-template-whonix-ws-14.noarch 4.0.1-201807171801                         

Complete!
1 Like

I said the magic words, and then Jinny appeared and told me “Tell your friend 0brand that his magic words are outdated and he need to renew his payment to update his magic words”. :stuck_out_tongue:

still nothing …

1 Like

Qubes bug.

1 Like

What command are you running? Any error messages?

2 Likes

Issue resolved after full system restart.

BTW, you might have to full system restart for updates to take affect. Probably should have mentioned that. Oops :blush:

1 Like

I wonder why a system restart is required. Really should not. Perhaps UpdateVM restart is enough since that would clear the root image of the VM. But then this would still be a Qubes bug.

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly where is saw this but I know in the past users have had to restart their system to install new TemplateVMs. Definitely a Qubes bug. I’ll see if i can find an example or two in qubes-users or qubes-issues.

1 Like

No luck finding previous reports on this i.e. users reports Qubes restart fixes the issue. I saw them somewhere… Even so, it might not actually be “Qubes restart”. It could be as Patrick suggested, an UpdateVM restart that actually fixes the issues. Its difficult to tell since we don’t have steps to reproduce – command run, error output… – you know, stuff an experienced Whonix team member would provide :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing:

It looks like similar issues have been reported in qubes-issues but they were UX issues (resolved), bugs (resolved), user errors etc. So no point in list the links.

1 Like