OS doesnt boot stuck at black screen

Hi! Iam using 15.0.0.6.6 and when i try to run an os none of the gateway or the workstation boots into the os. i am stuck at the black screen where it should load but it gets stuck there.

Edit by Patrick:
See Kicksecure ™ in VirtualBox - Troubleshooting - Kicksecure ™ does not Start?

using windows or mac or gnu as the host operating system?

does your pc has an option in the BIOS called virtualization or VT-x ? if yes is it active? if yes then can you boot any other operating system into your vritualbox like debian or kali…etc?

1 Like

Hi! thank for answering.
i am using ubuntu where i run virtualbox. i have 1 option for Intel virtualization and i have it enabled. i tried with disabled and cant even run the machine with enabled i get stuck at booting.

i tried to run a virtual machine with windows and it does the same. cant get past the booting stage.

virtualization/vt-x keep it enabled (preferred as well if you have VT-d to enable it)

to install vbox properly:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install virtualbox linux-headers-$(uname -r)

I dont have Ubuntu as a host , but i can test on Debian so if this method didnt work then try installing vbox over debian as a host:

Add sid repository: (because vbox not available on debian stable)

sudo su -c "echo -e 'deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list"

install vbox from it:

sudo apt update && sudo apt -t sid install virtualbox linux-headers-$(uname -r)

remove the repository:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list

another method of using Whonix over Debian/Ubuntu is to be used over KVM if you like to try an alternative hypervisor.

1 Like

ok so when i run the first command i get the virtualbox is already the newest version.

when i run the second command i get nothing and at the third command i get updating from such a repository cant be done securely and is therefore disabled by default

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

already installed in your system?

you said you have Ubuntu as a host so those commands for Debian if you want to change your host to Debian:

https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

1 Like

Also do you use AMD64/64bit system or i368/32bit system as your Ubuntu version ?

1 Like

cant i run virtualbox from ubuntu. i cant go back to debian.

64bit

ofcourse you can , but having this issue on your case i cant reproduce on Debian (which is what ubuntu based on) and since you have everything configured ok then i can not know what causing that to make you see black screen.

try to install dkms and linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

then re-install vbox:

sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox

and check what happen.

1 Like

when i run sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) i get is already the newest version 0 updated 0 installed.

I see , well then sorry i cant help here because i cant reproduce. Have
you tried installing debian or kali inside virtualbox and see if they
will run or not?

1 Like

anthing os that i try to run a virtual machine from the list does the same, i cant get past the booting black screen

Have you tried KVM?

if vbox and kvm having the same issue then this is a hardware problem
mostly.

1 Like

i heard about that but i have no idea how to actually install kvm. is there any instructions to do it on ubuntu

ok so i was following this tutorial

and i got a virtual machine manager but how can i run a virtual machine in here like where do i need to point for the os

yes the same steps for Debian mentioned in the same wiki.

hi could you please check post 16 if that is a good tutorial? because i got it working that way now i just need to figgure where to get os vor virtual machine

Read the wiki Whonix for KVM

that doesnt help me since i am really confused with everything. this is my first time with linuxes.