[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

OS doesnt boot stuck at black screen

Hi! Iam using 15.0.0.6.6 and when i try to run an os none of the gateway or the workstation boots into the os. i am stuck at the black screen where it should load but it gets stuck there.

using windows or mac or gnu as the host operating system?

does your pc has an option in the BIOS called virtualization or VT-x ? if yes is it active? if yes then can you boot any other operating system into your vritualbox like debian or kali…etc?

1 Like

Hi! thank for answering.
i am using ubuntu where i run virtualbox. i have 1 option for Intel virtualization and i have it enabled. i tried with disabled and cant even run the machine with enabled i get stuck at booting.

i tried to run a virtual machine with windows and it does the same. cant get past the booting stage.

virtualization/vt-x keep it enabled (preferred as well if you have VT-d to enable it)

to install vbox properly:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install virtualbox linux-headers-$(uname -r)

I dont have Ubuntu as a host , but i can test on Debian so if this method didnt work then try installing vbox over debian as a host:

Add sid repository: (because vbox not available on debian stable)

sudo su -c "echo -e 'deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list"

install vbox from it:

sudo apt update && sudo apt -t sid install virtualbox linux-headers-$(uname -r)

remove the repository:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list

another method of using Whonix over Debian/Ubuntu is to be used over KVM if you like to try an alternative hypervisor.

1 Like

ok so when i run the first command i get the virtualbox is already the newest version.

when i run the second command i get nothing and at the third command i get updating from such a repository cant be done securely and is therefore disabled by default

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

already installed in your system?

you said you have Ubuntu as a host so those commands for Debian if you want to change your host to Debian:

https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

1 Like

Also do you use AMD64/64bit system or i368/32bit system as your Ubuntu version ?

1 Like

cant i run virtualbox from ubuntu. i cant go back to debian.

64bit

ofcourse you can , but having this issue on your case i cant reproduce on Debian (which is what ubuntu based on) and since you have everything configured ok then i can not know what causing that to make you see black screen.

try to install dkms and linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

then re-install vbox:

sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox

and check what happen.

1 Like

when i run sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) i get is already the newest version 0 updated 0 installed.

I see , well then sorry i cant help here because i cant reproduce. Have
you tried installing debian or kali inside virtualbox and see if they
will run or not?

1 Like

anthing os that i try to run a virtual machine from the list does the same, i cant get past the booting black screen

Have you tried KVM?

if vbox and kvm having the same issue then this is a hardware problem
mostly.

1 Like

i heard about that but i have no idea how to actually install kvm. is there any instructions to do it on ubuntu

ok so i was following this tutorial

and i got a virtual machine manager but how can i run a virtual machine in here like where do i need to point for the os

yes the same steps for Debian mentioned in the same wiki.

hi could you please check post 16 if that is a good tutorial? because i got it working that way now i just need to figgure where to get os vor virtual machine

Read the wiki https://www.whonix.org/wiki/KVM

that doesnt help me since i am really confused with everything. this is my first time with linuxes.

[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]