Oracle Virtualbox (Windows 10) Whonix black screen on launch

I don’t seem to be able to boot up Whonix on Oracle Virtualbox running on a Windows 10 host machine ith 32GB RAM

I’ve assigned the machine with more than enough RAM, I’ve enabled VT-x in UEFI/BIOS so there’s no issue with virtualization or RAM. The installation and boot process seems to be simplicity itself and yet all I get when starting both Gateway and Workstation in the VM panel is a blackscreen with nothing (ZERO) on it.

Made all the more frustrating by the fact that I can open Whonix with no issues whatsoever on my Macbook pro. (No, I haven’t downloaded or installed the MacOS version of the installer on my Windows 10 machine.

I’ve seen a few threads here from people who’ve had similar problems but none of them have an actual fix. Maybe this thread will be the first.

Hi AsokeForex.

Welcome to the Whonix community!

Could you please answer the questions in this thread. Also there is a link to a black screen troubleshooting guide in post 7 of this thread. If you’re up for it.

Edit by Patrick:

See Kicksecure ™ in VirtualBox - Troubleshooting - Kicksecure ™ does not Start?

1 Like

What? I’m looking for answers myself.

In many cases anwsers can be found as per:https://whonix.org/wiki/Support#Free_Support_Principle

Reason:

• Limited human resources: If I wiki editors fully answer every question= no wiki contribution, no wiki pages maintained.
  • Limited developer resources: If developers answer every question fully= no core development, no new Whonix releases.

Free support principle frees up the above human resources to improve Whonix.

1 Like

What 0brand probably intended to say (which I agree with) was:
This thread looks like similar to Whonix starts first, but after first Screen - Blackscreen. Therefore please click Whonix starts first, but after first Screen - Blackscreen, read it, and then answer the questions.

You’re not supposed to answer other users questions on how to fix issues. Rather, the idea is that you answer the questions which were directed back to the user, which were asked by Whonix support, which were asked there by 0anon / 0brand.

1 Like

I also unfortunately have to give a similar answer here. Similar to https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-crashing-linux-mint-programs-dont-run-with-3d-acceleration-enabled/7801/2?u=patrick.

Welcome to Whonix and thank you for your question.

Whonix is a compilation of software and not modify components on that level. If you like to debug that issue, you’d need to remove the Whonix specific part of your question and then redirect these questions in places with people specialized in this. To learn more what this means, see:

Unfortunately, I don’t have a better answer than this. Perhaps someone else has a better answer than me. Please let us know if you figure something out.

1 Like