No ISCSI after current update

After the current update there are no ISCSI connections possible anymore.

iscsiadm -m node --login is reporting:
iscsiadm: initiator reported error (12 - iSCSI driver not found. Please make sure it is loaded, and retry the operation)

but all drivers are loaded - lsmod | grep iscsi is reporting:
iscsi_tcp 24576 0
libiscsi_tcp 24576 1 iscsi_tcp
libiscsi 61440 3 libiscsi_tcp,iscsi_tcp,ib_iser
scsi_transport_iscsi 110592 4 iscsi_tcp,ib_iser,libiscsi
scsi_mod 249856 11 mptsas,scsi_transport_sas,sd_mod,scsi_transport_iscsi,iscsi_tcp,ib_iser,mptscsih,libiscsi,libata,sg,sr_mod

Prior the update everything was fine. Any ideas?

no answer at all after more then 1 month?
not one single hint what to do?

really quite disappointing!

I’m asking now in the development forum - after not answering my question at the support forum for more than one month.

Is ISCSI disabled inside the Whonix Workstation since an update around beginning of May?

For details see here: No ISCSI after current update

Untested.

grep Whonix ™ source code

mygrep -r -i scsi

• Ignore hardened-kernel since not installed by default at time of writing (unless you’re using it).
  • ignore monero-gui since extremely unlikely related

mygrep -r -i scsi | grep --invert-match hardened-kernel | grep --invert-match monero

In conclusion: no relevant mentions.

Something in /etc/modprobe.d/30_security-misc.conf? /cc @madaidan

Otherwise I can only suggest to debug this without depending on Whonix support. (Similar to https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Free_Support_Principle)

I’m not aware of any Whonix-specific change that could cause this.

1 Like

I’ve checked now the sources - no hint on ISCSI

However: It worked like a charm until one of the last updates.
I’ve no idea was the reason could be - all the drivers are loaded and the error message (missing driver) is not really helpfull.
The error is reproducible in a fresh installation.
On a debian installation ISCSI works like expected.

For me it’s a main feature to have a (most of the time) non-persistant Whonix Workstation and a encrypted remote storage. It’s a perfect combination.

This is highly unlikely getting fixed by me.

Your best chance: Generic Bug Reproduction.

1. Start with a Whonix-Custom-Workstation using Debian as per Anonymize Other Operating Systems
  2. Issue happening yet?
  3. Keep insatlling packages by Whonix until the issue starts happening so the issue can be pinpointed.