Missing Libre Illustrative Images

1 Like
1 Like

All the above have been finished :bomb::boom:

2 Likes

This green button (“image”) (actually html, not even an image) Template:Free - Whonix which links to Why Whonix ™ will always be Free as in Price as well as in Freedom is used on many pages, see:

It’s purpose is to illustrate:

Can you suggest image(s) which illustrate that better? Are there popular images used for this purpose? Which are the most common images to illustrate “Free Software”?

Could be either one image or two depending on what’s best.

I don’t really like the logo saying “Open Source” since Open Source misses the point.

http://studentlanka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/opensource-logo.png

https://opensource.org/logo-usage-guidelines

But looks like one of the more popular images.

Maybe the Open Source logo not saying “Open Source” would be better. This one:

But would require higher resolution version. Also would require if it is acceptable and legal to use.

The GPLv3 logo

File:GPLv3 Logo.svg - Wikipedia

is nice but not suitable since Whonix is a compilation of software under Freedom Software licenses.

1 Like

For the Kicksecure/About draft I use the term open-source and Freedom Software on that page . This might be a little confusing to readers.

Hi @nurmagoz

An image is needed for:

2 Likes

no need , GNU logo is better and representing freedom/libre/free & Operating System.

good ones:

Done

1 Like

Only GNU projects can call themselves GNU. Whonix is not a GNU project. I haven’t seen any non-GNU projects using the GNU logo. I don’t think GNU would allow putting the GNU logo on a non-GNU project?

Note: This is not licensing. This is trademark.

Found it:

source: A GNU Head by Etienne Suvasa - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation - Quote:

The GNU head is, however, also a trademark for the GNU Project. If you want to use the GNU head to link to a website run by the Free Software Foundation or the GNU project, feel free, or if you’re using it in contexts talking about GNU in a supportive and accurate way, you can also do this without permission. For any other requests, please ask <licensing@fsf.org> for permission first.

Not allowed for our use case “illustrate Open Source”.

These images are available under the GNU Free Documentation License v1.3, or the Free Art License, or the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 License.

It’s not a contradiction to above. One could use the logo or parts of it (perhaps just an eye) and create something totally different which cannot be confused to be the GNU logo. A logo under a free license and yet trademarked may look like a contradiction at first but it’s not.

Amaya FreeNOS (non GNU/Linux) but uses GNU head logo:

https://amayaos.com/

(because they agree on the free software philosophy as GPLv3)

So no problem from using the full logo/head.

Not allowed for our use case “illustrate Open Source”.

Which part of Whonix illustrate Open Source but not or contradict Free Software?

They are using a modified GNU logo. They made a circle around it and wrote 100% software libre - 100% free software.

https://amayaos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/libre.png

That’s different. That may be permissible. Better to e-mail licensing@fsf.org and ask if they are ok with that.

What they also do:

It’s the GNU logo. It doesn’t directly illustrate libre software.

Same way others must not use Whonix logo to illustrate libre software. Just because Whonix is libre software, doesn’t mean it’s logo’s purpose is to illustrate that.

It’s the GNU logo. It doesn’t directly illustrate libre software. Just because GNU is libre software, doesn’t mean it’s logo’s purpose is to illustrate that.

Just read this line by line in pieces.

They mention three cases.

The GNU head is, however, also a trademark for the GNU Project.

[1]

If you want to use the GNU head to link to a website run by the Free Software Foundation or the GNU project, feel free,

We don’t want to use the logo just to link to a GNU project of FSF website.

[2]

or if you’re using it in contexts talking about GNU in a supportive and accurate way, you can also do this without permission.

We don’t want to use the logo in context of talking about GNU.

[3]

For any other requests, please ask <licensing@fsf.org> for permission first.

The purpose “illustrate libre software” falls into the category of For any other requests.

I’ve that still doesn’t sound convincing, then nothing can convince you. In that case, please prepare a draft to e-mail licensing@fsf.org so GNU / FSF can be asked.

True its confusing if we take it plain without asking. I have sent an
email and waiting for their answer.

Patrick via Whonix Forum:

We are good to go , GNU license approved it. (check email)