Long Wiki Edits Thread

Did anyone ask about…
Noscript not appearing

? Something we should document?

Do not use noscript settings. It acts as a similar to cookie.

websites can easily determine whether you have allowed JavaScript for them, and if you disable JavaScript by default but then allow a few websites to run scripts (the way most people use NoScript), then your choice of whitelisted websites acts as a sort of cookie that makes you recognizable (and distinguishable), thus harming your anonymity.

Do we spell this out clear enough on Tor Browser Essentials?

Related (might be helful to add to #Wiki_Tor_Browser)

Done.

Related?:

1 Like

Unfortunately rewrite to SecBrowser by adrelanos · Pull Request #6 · 0brand/Privacy-and-Security-Focused-Browser · GitHub was not merged first. So now there is a merge conflict. I guess that pull request changed the documentation in more major ways (some chapters deleted). So I’d suggest to revert the last commit, merge that pull request first, and then re-apply torjunkie’s suggestions on top of that. Or perhaps the better alternative: try the resolve conflicts feature? Looks like it’s only two sentences where is a conflict. Does not look that bad.

I suggest not using github for major documentation drafts even supposed for github/Qubes/markdown as final destination and use Whonix wiki instead. This until all all-over-the-place editors on the subject (in this case torjunkie) are comfortable with git/github editing. Even if github syntax (markdown something) is not correctly rendered in mediawiki, it’s still better than running into merge conflicts.

@torjunkie thank you. the manual editing steps for torbirdy are no longer needed. the version of torbirdy installed from stretch-backports no longer points to the old vidalia/privoxy “port 8118.” so, a user can upload and download keys without editing and repackaging torbirdy. aside from the change of provider and perhaps some cosmetic issues related to either the latest thunderbird client or steps required by the provider, nothing has changed in that chapter. some additional steps were added for key creation based on how danwin1210.me sends and receives e-mails using both clearnet and onion.

also, as for length of it, i was able to remove a number of pages by incorporating the configuration for immutible drives from the start, rather than dedicating a chapter to it at the end, and using the cli to import the whonix ova file.

Whonix-Workstation Security - Whonix needs to be moved elsewhere since also matters for Whonix-Gateway and host. @madaidan Where does it fit best?

1 Like

It wouldn’t be as much of a priority for the Gateway and host. It could probably be linked at the gateway and host hardening pages or have it’s own page entirely.

1 Like

Fixed merge conflicts

Readability :laughing:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: hardened_malloc

A post was split to a new topic: use sudoedit in Whonix documentation

Bitcoin: Difference between revisions - Whonix

Have to be extra careful with this. Someone could be trying to emulate one of our most active wiki editors.

Is https://bitcoincore.org legitimate replacement https://bitcoin.org?

I don’t think its a “replacement”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_Core

Bitcoin Core is free and open-source software that serves as a bitcoin node (the set of which form the bitcoin network) and provides a bitcoin wallet which fully verifies payments. It is considered to be bitcoin’s reference implementation[1] and is the most used implementation by a large margin.[2][ citation needed ] Initially, the software was published by Satoshi Nakamoto under the name “Bitcoin”, and later renamed to “Bitcoin Core” to distinguish it from the network.[3] For this reason, it is also known as the Satoshi client .[4] As of 2018, Bitcoin Core repositories are maintained by a team of maintainers, with Wladimir J. van der Laan leading the release process.[5]

1 Like

Alright, both Bitcoin - Wikipedia and GitHub - bitcoin/bitcoin: Bitcoin Core integration/staging tree link to https://bitcoincore.org/ so looks ok.

Migrated SecBrowser from Github/0brand for easy editing (not indexed). The bottom half of the page needs formatting work. Everything looks kinda smooshed together. I’ll work on moving content over to Tor Browser without Tor. Actually it may be better to keep this page as SecBrowser, depreciate Tor Browser without Tor, then move the current SecBrowser to a new #wiki/SecBrowser page.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: paxful (similar to localbitcoins)

A post was merged into an existing topic: gpg --recv-keys fails

Added warning to Git clone verify.

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Git_clone_verify&oldid=48757&diff=cur

1 Like

+1

PS Formatted your wiki stuff 0brand - I think it looks very nice :slight_smile: Also pride of place in the Secure and Anonymous Browsing section now.

(yes you are right re: canvas extraction, forgot about that)

Thanks tempest. I’ll try to get to it soon (got to sort out the release notes stuff first, as Whonix 15 is close…)

I haven’t touched the money stuff. Priorities are release notes, cleaning up remaining email area entries, then (gulp) I’m gonna edit the money entries (very messy IMO). Could be months away…

1 Like

Very close indeed. The testers releases for all platforms seem to work really well. Mabye even in 4 days or so but don’t quote me on that.