How can I watch youtube in Whonix Workstation?

Hi,
How can I watch youtube in Whonix Workstation? None of the browsers support it. Nether Firefox nor Chromium that I installed myself.
Is there any way to make it work?

Edit by Patrick:
See documentation.

Good day,

Under normal circunstance, watching Videos should be possible with any browser if JavaScript is active and the VRam set accordingly.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I wonder if you could point me in the right direction of how to do it. (i’m not an expert on this subject). Thanks in advance.

Good day,

Simply turning of NoScript in the Tor Browser Bundle should be enough to watch Youtube Videos.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Ttied that - nothing. Nothing works in my case. Not the Tor browser with NoScript off, nor the Firefox, nor the Crhomium. I’ve installed all kinds of plugins in Firefox for HTML5 - same result.
Why is it like this? A simple video in simple Youtube is suddenly an issue? Can anybody resolve this at all??
I’m using Virtualbox, like most the people here, I believe. Am I the only one to have that problem??

Good day,

Usually Youtube should Showcase some Kind of error in that case. Is there nothing? Also, what Kind of Settings do you have under Graphics?

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Hi Ego, thanks for answering.
The video as if appears to start but it never does and it holds. No errors it’s just frozen, a motionless picture. I can drag the slider and get pictures of the clip but it does not stream.

As far as graphic I tried default - nothing. I tried to enable everything I could - nothing either. Now I have full video memory of 128 MB and 3D acceleration on, but it simply ain’t working.
I’m on Dell XPS 13
Any ideas?

Good day,

Then I have no idea where the issue may lie. Did you try reinstalling VBox and did you verify the Images?

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Can anybody from this community help me with Youtube video? None of the browsers provided support it. It just freezes - no streaming. How come such a trivial thing as Youtube is not supported? I tried all kinds of plugins for Firefox and Chromium that installed - nothing works.
Does this distro at all support Youtube? Can anybody suggest what to do?

Good day,

Just merged the threads, there is no sense in creating two threads for the same question.

Furthermore, Whonix Supports YouTube without issue. Under a similar configuration, I, as well as many others, can use it without issue.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Than what is wrong with my setup? My host is on KDE as well (Kubuntu). What can possible be wrong? I searched "“debian+youtube+issue” and get nothing, as if Google does not know about it. As if I’m a sole person on this planet to have such an issue.

None of the browsers plays on-line video on Whonix-Workstation.
Can someone help?

what, there is nobody here who can help??? No video support in the browsers - not possible to use Youtube in none of the browsers and nobody gives a damn??? Why is called “support” then?

Good day,

I already told you, creating a new thread for this won’t get People to help you faster.

If you’d use the Forum search you’d know that other People can use Youtube on Whonix in a similar Setup just fine.

Here is an example: Tor Browser can't play MP4 files

YouTube is working using HTML5.

It works fine for a lot of other People, including myself, so there is no one who can help you since this isn’t a known issue.

Yes, nobody can help, since you give no Information. I already asked you in post #7 whether you’d verified the Images and reinstalled VBox.

You ignored that.

Also, if you really want to figure out whether the issue lies with Whonix, try this: Set up a Debian VM on your System. Try Youtube on there. If it doesn’t work, we know where the issue lies.

Have a nice day,

Ego

2 Likes

If I may suggest a test. Start a new VM and install another OS. Then see if you can view Youtube videos in it with a plain browser. Maybe that is a good place to start.

2 Likes

https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/index.en.html#index28h2

On Tor Browser, you should both turn NoScript off and set the Security Level to “Standard”.

YouTube videos will not play (for me at least) with the “Safer” and “Safest” settings.

Hi,

I don’t know if this issue was resolved for the users that reported problem, but I now in 2020 also experiance this issue.
I’m at time of writing runing
Virtualbox Version 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.2)
Whonix-XFCE-15.0.1.5.1
Image was verified with the hases provided

Machine settings for graphics
128mb graphics memory
VMSVGA
3D Graphics (tried both on and off)

I’ve set the tor browser with noscript disabled and security on standard

I’ve also installed
Firefox (youtube and other doesn’t work)
brave (youtube and other doesn’t work)
chromiom (youtube doesn’t even open up)

While using firefox with the dev tools I did see that the browser gets a ether 204 or 404 on the contnt retrival .js link…
What I also see is that the player shows that the video content is loaded. It seems so play the first 1 to 2 sec then behaves as if it’s trying to buffer, (and if left long enough) it’ll replay that first 2 sec then repeat.

So a stupid question came up in my head. is there any filtering done on content on the gateway server?? before getting to the workstaion

I also installed the latest debian 10 in a new virtualbox, youtube doeswork, jittery with 3d off and fearly nice with 3D on. Useing firefox

Have anyone come up with workable suggestions?

brandc via Whonix Forum:

So a stupid question came up in my head. is there any filtering done on content on the gateway server?? before getting to the workstaion

No.

brandc via Whonix Forum:

I also installed the latest debian 10 in a new virtualbox, youtube doeswork, jittery with 3d off and fearly nice with 3D on. Useing firefox

Then Whonix isn’t the root cause.

If it doesn’t work in VirtualBox with Firefox, it’s not a Whonix issue.
Could you try to resolve as per
Self Support First Policy for Whonix please?