[Help Welcome] KVM Development - staying the course

If there is anything that needs help with or requires testing please do let me know

1 Like

Btw please Follow Whonix Developments for news. If there are major testers wanted announcements, these will be posted in the news forums.

1 Like

Could vagrant be a solution to the missing .ova appliance feature for libvirt / KVM? Vagrant supports .box files.

vagrant is available in Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/Vagrant

Supports libvirt. Package in Debian:

Contains:

• /usr/share/doc/vagrant-libvirt/examples/create_box.sh

/usr/share/doc/vagrant-libvirt/examples/create_box.sh IMAGE [BOX] [Vagrantfile.add]

Package a qcow2 image into a vagrant-libvirt reusable box

Needs…?

• metadata.json
  • Vagrantfile

I am not sure Vagrant can be feed existing libvirt XML files or needs its own format?

But there could be limitations.

please review:
KVM: Difference between revisions - Whonix

2 Likes

Long standing KVM issue:

VM internal traffic is visible on the host for network sniffers such as wireshark, tshark as well as iptables (and therefore by extension also corridor)

This is an issue because of this corridor (or something similar if invented such as perhaps Whonix-Host KVM Firewall) cannot be used as an additional leak test or Tor whitelisting gateway.

Quote myself from Whonix on Mac M1 (ARM) - Development Discussion - #35 by Patrick

As hubport option might be much more secure similar and also apply to Whonix KVM.

This is very important, needs most attention to get right to avoid IP leaks.

From the UTM config files. Relevant options:

Whonix-Gateway

-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=external
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=internal
-netdev user,id=external,ipv6=off,net=10.0.2.0/24
-netdev socket,id=internal,listen=:8010

Whonix-Workstation

-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=internal
-netdev socket,id=internal,connect=127.0.0.1:8010

Doesn’t look crazy. Related documentation:
Documentation/Networking - QEMU

But it has the same issue that KVM has. VM internal traffic is visible on the host for network sniffers such as wireshark, tshark.

This has lead in the past to a failure of configuring corridor on a Debian host with Whonix KVM.

references:

GitHub - rustybird/corridor: Tor traffic whitelisting gateway

testing on Debian host · Issue #28 · rustybird/corridor · GitHub

related:
Using corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway with Whonix ™

So it would be much better if KVM / QEMU (UTM) would hide this from the host operating system. I.e. encapsulate the internal networking better. ChatGPT says this is possible using the hubport option but ChatGPT unfortunately sometimes talkes nonsense. Could you look into it please?

ChatGPT

1 Like

Pending changes piling up.

KVM: Difference between revisions - Whonix

1 Like

Missing documentation:
As mentioned in How to use Whonix-Gateway KVM for any other VM, operating system (Whonix-Custom-Workstation)? using Anonymize Other Operating Systems is undocumented for Whonix KVM.

1 Like

@Patrick please check inbox

If the user is still resorting to the commandline at any point in the import process then no. Even if the number of commands is cut down, the overhead of maintaining another abstraction layer isn’t justified IMO unless the UX is significantly better.

I’m not sure what the implications are exactly of the change, but I’d reckon that piping guest traffic through localhost is a breakdown of the security guarantees of IP isolation and having it on its own private subnet. Unless there’s a precedent of this being done on other virtualizer platforms that I’m not aware of (and having been successfully leaktested of course), I’d steer clear.

That is the issue now with Whonix KVM…

Whonix KVM at time of writing:

• VM traffic visible on the host: yes
  • Is that a problem? yes
  • What is broken? corridor; and host VPN fail closed mechanisms.
  • Potential solution, in theory: hubport

Whonix VirtualBox / Qubes-Whonix at time of writing:

• VM traffic visible on the host: no
  • Is that a problem? no
  • What is broken? Nothing.
  • Leak tested: yes

No, that’s not what I’m seeing in my VM qemu log found in /var/log/libvirt/qemu. There’s no mention of my NIC listening on localhost just the spice server

What is UTM?

UTM is a full featured system emulator and virtual machine host for iOS and macOS. It is based off of QEMU. In short, it allows you to run Windows, Linux, and more on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Check out the links on the left for more information.

The way this MacOS based emulator chooses to manipulate QEMU in order to simulate the virtual environment is quite different to how KVM uses QEMU on Linux. I think this is a case of ChatGPT taking us for a ride.

The log is irrelevant. It’s not a listen port. It’s the the virtual network interfaces created by KVM on the host operating system.

VM internal traffic is visible on the host for network sniffers such as wireshark, tshark as well as iptables (and therefore by extension also corridor).

… as we’ve wondered years ago probably and as you’ve seen years ago in tshark but finding that message would be challenging.

This is why firewall rules on the host (for example by corridor or VPN fail closed firewalls) can break Whonix-Workstation traffic.

These so far are the facts and these are unrelated to ChatGPT.

UTM is also irrelevant.

libvirt is a wrapper around QEMU. virsh domxml-to-native can the translate an XML file to the actual QEMU comnand line that will be executed.
(Audit Output of virsh domxml-to-native)

So if QEMU supports hubport, it can be assumed that such an important option is also available in libvirt.
(In theory, very recently added or obscure QEMU options might not exist in libvirt.)
In the worst case, libvirt: QEMU command-line passthrough could be used.

KVM is also just a QEMU command line. Just with different command line options. From perspective of the final and actually executed QEMU command line the difference is just a few command line parameters.

The problem is this:

<bridge name='virbr2' stp='on' delay='0'/>

The bridge virbr2 will be visible as a network interface on the host operating system for tools such as sudo ifconfig. This is the whole crux about Whonix KVM.

Avoiding this would make a lot issues vanish.

So the easy one first… Currently:

<network>
  <name>Whonix-External</name>
  <forward mode='nat'/>
  <bridge name='virbr1' stp='on' delay='0'/>
  <ip address='10.0.2.2' netmask='255.255.255.0'/>
</network>

Is <bridge name='virbr1' stp='on' delay='0'/> strictly required? According to https://chat.openai.com/share/5d7c6ee9-a1ea-459f-9b50-19f2f03fe2a4 it is not.

Could you try without <bridge name='virbr1' stp='on' delay='0'/> please? Potential alternative:

<network>
  <name>Whonix-External</name>
  <forward mode='nat'/>
  <ip address='10.0.2.2' netmask='255.255.255.0'/>
</network>

If that does not work, any other options?

This one maybe harder… Currently:

<network>
  <name>Whonix-Internal</name>
</network>

Isolated mode perhaps?

I did not find how to do this.

Guess based on ChatGPT… Would this work? Potential alternative:

<network>
  <name>Whonix-Internal</name>
  <ip address='10.152.152.0' netmask='255.255.255.0'>
  </ip>
</network>

Increase KVM GW rams to 2 GB because on CLI first start there is not internet connect going to be (something doesnt run) , and 4 CPU (similar to vbox)

1 Like

Did some digging on the libvirt+QEMU networking implementation advantages which is a combination of virtual bridges ip/nfables routing rules vs using the emulated SLIRP that VBox inherited from QEMU and what UTM uses too. Another problem is that DNS and DHCP are bundled with SLIRP and there’s no clear way for me to disable either

SLIRP is an emulated device meaning that while the packets are hidden inside it as far as the host is concerned, it has performance bottlenecks and some serious security issues in the past.

CVE-2019-6778, which is an overflow in QEMU’s SLIRP implementation

With that said, I don’t think the security and performance sacrifices are justified in order to enable some corner usecases. I can allude to it as a potential solution in the docs but I don;t think I will go further than that to encourage or allow its usage.

There’s a modern implementation that does something similar called passt from https://passt.top - It cannot support all features of an IP stack and its integration with host sockets and syscalls make me uncomfortable in considering it as an alternative.

Please tell me where I can move posts related to this discussion so I can easily reference them in the future should this be asked about again.

Did you try to remove the <bridge name...> interfaces?

As far as I can look that up, it seems SLIRP is only used by VirtualBox NAT. Not by VirtualBox internal network.

Meaning, perhaps SLIRP is avoidable since we don’t want NAT for the internal network anyhow.

Apparently, VirtualBox uses a virtual network switch for the virtual internal network. Not SLIRP.

It seems there is a missing feature in KVM. It would be good if we could pinpoint to a missing KVM feature through a feature request, bug report, or absent of ask on the KVM mailing list about this. Let’s draft a question for the KVM mailing list.

title:

KVM static internal networking without host bridge interface (virbr)

text:

How to set up an internal network between two KVM network interfaces while using static networking (avoiding dnsmasq) and while avoiding a host bridge interface (virbr)?

Currently I am using this for the network.

<network>
  <name>Internal</name>
</network>

And then for the VM.

<interface type='network'>
      <source network='Internal'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <driver name='qemu'/>
    </interface>

* I would like to avoid the host `virbr2` interface. This is because ideally package sniffers on the host such as tshark / wireshark would be unable to see these packages following between an internal network between two VMs.
* SLIRP should be avoided due to past security issues. [1]
* dnsmasq on the host operating system or inside the VMs should also be avoided in favor of static IP addresses.

By comparison, this is possible. [2]

Is that possible with KVM too? Could you please show an example configuration file on how to accomplish that?

[1] CVE-2019-6778
[2] VirtualBox has this capability. VirtualBox can have an internal network using static networking. No vibr bridge interfaces can be seen on the host operating system. And VM to VM internal traffic is not visible to package analyzers on the host operating system either.

(No bold uses. Not sure why the forums uses bold for some words.)

Dev/KVM - Whonix seems right for developer documention.

Mentions on Whonix for KVM

@HulaHoop would you like me to build and upload KVM builds? its easy from my side if thats ok with you.

1 Like

No because if I remove virbr0 that’s bidding farewell to the default NAT network, virbr1 - whonix external and virbr2 - internal network. I don’t want to gut my setup and then struggle to restore these settings again. If @nurmagoz is adventurous enough, he could try experimenting? But before doing anything let’s delve into the supposed differences between virtualizers and what is essentially the problem at hand here.

Bridges and switches are functionally the same thing and it’s just playing semantic games at this point.

Oracle is just implementing/configuring this using their custom driver:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualization/virtualbox/6.0/user/network_internal.html

, the Oracle VM VirtualBox support driver will automatically wire the cards and act as a network switch. The Oracle VM VirtualBox support driver implements a complete Ethernet switch and supports both broadcast/multicast frames and promiscuous mode.

Believe me there’s no missing features in KVM compared to any general hypervisor these days. It absolutely buries the competition as far as functionality and feature set is concerned.

The problem corridor users are running into is that corridor fails to distinguish between virtual bridge traffic and host traffic right?

Wouldn’t commonsense dictate that it somehow gets coded into ignoring certain interface traffic?

Conceptually as far as I can see, VPNs on the linux host are running layer 2 virtual devices which are conflicting with KVM devices because they are on the same footing.

A cursory search shows that the KVM virtual bridges need to be configured to allow tunneling their traffic through a host VPN so they cooperate.

Thanks for the offer, but I’m working on it. It’s not out of laziness.

It’s a missing KVM feature or we don’t know how to do the same with KVM.

• VirtualBox: corridor, host VPNs fail closed mechanisms work out of the box.
    • Much simpler, no need to rely on any upstreams to change their code to suit KVM.
  • KVM: broken
    • With KVM, it would be required to explain this issue to all upstreams and they would need to add code specifically handling this. Unrealistic.

If not possible with KVM, this comparative feature reduction seems clear that this can be called a missing feature.