[graphical gui] Whonix Setup Wizard / Anon Connection Wizard - Technical Discussion

To clarify, we assume user in Whonix will run Tor using sudo but under user, right? If so, there is no need to and we should not remove User debian-tor from default torrc because everything just works as expected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

iry:

To clarify, we assume user in Whonix will run Tor using sudo but under user, right? If so, there is no need to and we should not remove User debian-tor from default torrc because everything just works as expected. :slight_smile:

Whonix runs Tor under systemd unit file by tor package with defaults
torrc by tor package. We don’t run Tor using sudo.

As for tor verify config: whatever works.

1 Like

TODO: Better error and debugging report should be provided. Patrick has reminded me about this for a while. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Could you post a Debian RFP (request for packaging) for ACW please?

Do you think you could get ACW uploaded to packages.debian.org?

And or do you think you could in long term become a Debian maintainer?

Once we got a “foot into the door” in packages.debian.org this could help immensely simplifying Whonix contributions, I think:

• upload genmkfile
  • upload anon-shared-helper-scripts

Then ACW could depend on anon-shared-helper-scripts without causing dependency troubles for contributors.

I would love to post a RFP. But I think anon-connection-wizard is not generic, robust, beautiful enough to get into Debian, currently. I will focus on the further improvement after Whonix 14 is released. And then do a RFP. :slight_smile:

Yes! That is a secret desire of mine.

I totally agree.

I am not sure if it generic enough to be uploaded to Debian. But, well we have a goal now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One potentially useful way:

http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/whonixcheck-whonix-14-ideas/2456/16

1 Like

Trying to fix auxiliary issue in bootstrap phase: unknown bootstrap tag. in most cases this is harmless please contact support

Hello,
in the anon_connection_wizard.py file (anon-connection-wizard/anon_connection_wizard.py at master · Kicksecure/anon-connection-wizard · GitHub), at 1590 row, is there a “except selftem.connection.IncorrectCookieSize :” Maybe the correct form is not selftem but should be stem, right?
For the next Tor updates (as the 0.4.5.7) maybe you could get an error like “RuntimeError: dictionary keys changed during iteration”. If it happens, just edit the “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py ” file by changing the 2273 row to “for key in list(reply): ” (so, adding list() ) Source: python - How to avoid "RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration" error? - Stack Overflow

Let me know if this fix will be applied.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks!

Did you experience that issue?

Whonix for VirtualBox - 15.0.1.7.2 - Point Release! contains:

anon-info

…
INFO: version of the ‘tor’ package: 0.4.5.7-1~d10.buster+1

Didn’t have such an issue but then perhaps you tested this more? Or did a code review?

dpkg -S /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py

python3-stem: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/stem/control.py

That package is maintained by The Tor Project (upstream).

Could you please check if that if fixed upstream? If not, report a bug upstream?

source: fork the project (#40010) ¡ Issues ¡ The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / lyrebird ¡ GitLab