Whonix for VirtualBox - 15.0.1.7.2 - Point Release!

Whonix for VirtualBox

Download Whonix for VirtualBox:

This is a point release.

Upgrade

Alternatively, in-place release upgrade is possible upgrade using Whonix repository.

This release would not have been possible without the numerous supporters of Whonix!

Please Donate!

Please Contribute!

Major Changes

build system:

• all packages are more standalone, no Whonix specific build dependencies (genmkfile) (packages can now be build without genmkfile)

Whonix VirtualBox:

onion-grater:

Qubes-Whonix:

sdwdate:

whonix-welcome-page:

sdwdate Development:

• split Anon Meta Packages into Anon Meta Packages (Whonix) and Kicksecure Meta Packages
  • renamed whonix-repository to repository-dist
  • renamed whonixsetup to setup-dist
  • renamed whonix-setup-wizard to setup-wizard-dist
  • renamed whonixcheck to systemcheck

Noteable Changes

Whonix Changelog 15.0.1.5.4 -> 15.0.1.7.2

Full difference of all changes

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/compare/15.0.1.5.4-developers-only...15.0.1.7.2-developers-only

(This forum post was previously a call for testers. No release critical bugs where found during the testing period. This forum post was therefore transformed into a stable release announcement. See edit history.)

1 Like

Tested the version on vbox here some what i found:

• GW pulseaudio activated in vbox settings
  • Tumbler thumbnail missing which is need to fix a warning pop-up whenever you open an image
  • Vbox-Debian host issue (mostly specific), If debian renewed its kernel to newer version this will damage vbox kernel build which need to have new headers installs for the newer/compatible version of host kernel (not sure):

Running sudo /sbin/vboxconfig will give:

So to fix it user should:

sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64 linux-headers-4.19.0-16-amd64

Then run:

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

this i think should be documented as well in whonix vbox-troubleshooting

• Canary failed to start message first time booting WS:

1 Like

Thank you for testing!

This is already documented here: Recommended VirtualBox Version for use with Whonix

Instructions for installing VirtualBox on [image] Debian [image] Linux can be found for example on the [image] Whonix ™ for VirtualBox with XFCE page, which contains the following text.

• Linux [image]: please press expand on the right side.

Instructions contain:

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-6.1 linux-headers-$(dpkg --print-architecture)

which results in installing the linux-headers-amd64 package which should always ensure that the required kernel header matching linux-image-amd64 package are installed in the right version.

Do you have that package installed? To check:

dpkg -l | grep linux-headers-amd64

Also interesting:

dpkg -l | grep linux-image-amd64

Will do soonish.

Could you please provide debug output?

sudo journalctl -b -u canary.service

Expected.
This is to simplify installation of Orca Screen Reader

Confirmed. Tracking issue here:
Which image viewer to install by default? - #3 by Patrick

Done:
Kicksecure ™ in VirtualBox - Troubleshooting - Kicksecure ™ does not Start?

linux-headers-amd64 5.10.13-1~bpo10+1

linux-image-amd64 4.19+105+deb10u11

host systemd[1]: Starting canary...
host systemd[1]: Started canary.
host canary-daemon[730]: /usr/lib/systemcheck/canary-daemon: INFO start
host canary-daemon[730]: INFO: Skip. Not counting workstation. Only gateway only.
host canary-daemon[730]: /usr/lib/systemcheck/canary-daemon: INFO end.
1 Like

Forgot to say. Not on workstation. On gateway please, where it was failing. (?)

In workstation

1 Like

Different versions. That’s a problem for kernel modules (such as VirtualBox) uses.

Used kernel form backports as per Linux Kernel? Well, in that case, re-run these instructions. That should get you up to date versions that match.

linux image and linux header version need to match.

To compare with what Debian has, for example:

If you have these versions installed, then everything should be good.

(Unless Debian has an issue such as in past https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=951315 - but should be OK at the moment.)

1 Like

Looks good. No issue at the moment.

I see. Seems no longer reproducible. Happened only at first boot? If yes, could you please re-import and gather debug info right after first boot?

1 Like

currently its working fine, i didnt use newer kernel but my backport opened and seems upgraded headers by default never the less this is not of an issue.

only issue that will reproduce vbox kernel headers panic (i think) when newer kernel version upgraded from buster stable then only in this case vbox will care to see where is the matched headers.

but i will match the kernel so as the headers now from backport and see if something gonna happen in the future.

1 Like

yeah cant reproduce anymore. good then nothing to worry about from this until something similar happen.

1 Like

Hello! I decided to install this, and the “apparmor-everything” from another thread.
Now I get this while updating:

Is this something I should post here, or over in the apparmor thread?

1 Like

In the apparmor thread.