DPI scaling in Workstation

Hello everyone,

I am trying to change DPI scaling for Whonix Workstation on Qubes OS. Therefore I used the templateVM and first changed /etc/xdg/Xresources (added Xft.dpi: 288) but this did not change anything. Then I changed /etc/xdg/xsettingsd (added Xft/DPI 294912) but this also did not change anything. To test these new settings I started a disposable Whonix Workstation AppVM. The scaling did not change, but I could verify my values in Xresources and xsettingsd on the started disposable Whonix Workstation AppVM.

Do you have an idea how I can change the scaling for Whonix Workstation templateVM so that it takes effect?

The target is to have an improved appearance of Tor browser (Whonix Workstation disposable AppVM) on a HiDPI display without affecting anonymity. Because changing window size or zoom level of Tor browser after it is started would have an impact to anonymity as far as I know.

Thank you.

Resources:
Platform-specific Desktop Tips
XSettingsRegistry
Contents/dpi-scaling.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub

This is very most likely a Qubes specific issue and unspecific to Qubes-Whonix.

Try to accomplish the same graphic settings with a Qubes Debian template based App Qube.

Does’t work? → Qubes support

As per Free Support Principle.

Just chiming in to say that this doesn’t seem to be an issue with Qubes as I can do it in fedora. It’s just in whonix where I can’t get it to work.

I tried what OP mentioned and then I also installed xfce4-settings-manager and ran it and no display-related settings would work. I tried changing the DPI follong the non-Qubes-Whonix settings and that didn’t work either.

How about Debian in Qubes?