Deluge 1.3.15 on Whonix Debian: Operation not permitted

Hi There,

I know the rules of posting in the forum. So I searched for the error in this forum and found only 9 results. 5 to 6 are 5 to 6 years old. One from 2017 is regarding mac and others were not useful. hence I’m posting this topic.

Yesterday I installed Deluge 1.3.15 on my VirtualBox Whonix Debian. I’m new to Linux and everything around it. I’m not been able to download any torrent because just after a second status says “Operation not permitted”.

libtorrent: 1.1.11.0.

When I searched for any clues I found this link: FS#29414 : [deluge] libtorrent-rasterbar update breaks deluge download

it says “Deluge doesn’t work with package libtorrent-rasterbar 0.16.0-1. Works fine with libtorrent-rasterbar 0.15.10-1.”

Not sure if this applies to me as well.

Please help…

First, torrenting over tor is discouraged because it wastes valuable bandwidth.
And torrenting isn’t anonymous just because you use tor, you can still be fingerprinted.

Second, tor only uses TCP, where many aspects of bittorent require UDP, such as DHT and most trackers.

In my opinion you’re much better off just using a VPN for bittorrent.

1 Like

Hi samirwarsi

Welcome to the Whonix community!

By saying other post where not useful…I assume your read @HulaHoop’s take on this (which I agree with)

https://whonix.org/wiki/File_Sharing#The_Tor_Project_Opinion

Over the last decade, the Tor Project has been fairly consistent in advising against torrenting over the Tor network. In response to the 2010 paper Compromising Tor Anonymity Exploiting P2P Information Leakage – which detailed P2P information leakage over Tor that could compromise a (non-Whonix) user’s identity – Roger Dingledine stated in 2010:

Cause: Speculation, software trying to use UDP.

As per Tor Documentation for Whonix Users

The Tor software does not yet support UDP, [11] although Tor provides a DnsPort.

If UDP is urgently required in Whonix ™, a limited workaround is provided. For the most secure method, see Tunnel UDP over Tor.

UDP over Tor (#7830) · Issues · Legacy / Trac · GitLab

Because of this, whonix-firewall rejects UDP. This matches the state of affairs and results in a better error message than just dropping the package silently. Also rejecting rather than dropping the locally generated pacakge might improve connecitivty if the application retires with TCP.

This is implemented here:

Commenting this out will NOT result in Tor supporting UDP / making UDP work.