After updating to Tor Browser 4.0, Browser doesn't start

Hi there,

did this happen to anyone else? I can’t start somehow the new Tor Browser.

Kind regards,

random

Yes. This just happened to me.

I just upgraded TBB using the Whonix Tor Browser Updater.

After it completed, the Tor Browser 4.0 version does not start in Whonix anymore.

Same here. But I found a workaround:

1. Clicking the shortcut on the desktop or in the start bar for tor browser won’t make it open
  2. So, open (dolphin) file manager, you start off in the user directory, go into the directory called “tor-browser_en-US”
  3. Double click “start-tor-browser”
  4. Notice you will receive some pop-up error message about tor-passwd
  5. Dismiss the pop-up and then click the shortcut in the start panel, this time the tor browser window will open up

With the workaround, after dismissing the tor-passwd error, the Tor Browser successfully launches.

But, for me, the desktop shortcut for Tor Browser is still not working after this, and I have to manually do the workaround process each time when launching it.

I’m still using Whonix 9.0, so maybe Whonix 9.2 helps with this?

9.2 doesn’t change anything about this.

There will be a 9.3 testers-only release relatively soon. (Currently building it.)

[
Technically speaking, these are the fixes:

Now documented in the wiki:

There is a fix in Whonix’s testers APT repository.

Please test. (Also documented in the wiki: Download Whonix ™ (FREE))

I updated from the testers’ repository and Tor Browser now starts, from the desktop shortcut, without error.

One small bug is that it starts with a blank page, but Typing “about:tor” into the browser’s address field brings up the expected congratulations page.

The preferences settings do have “show my home page” for when the browser starts, and “about:tor” for the home page.

[quote=“brokentbb, post:2, topic:599”]Yes. This just happened to me.

I just upgraded TBB using the Whonix Tor Browser Updater.

After it completed, the Tor Browser 4.0 version does not start in Whonix anymore.[/quote]

Did the same by running ‘update-torbrowser’ from command line. Launching using ‘torbrowser’ doesn’t yield any results, because I get this error:

$ torbrowser INFO: Tor Browser language variable is set to en-US. INFO: Starting Tor Browser... user@host:~$ XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/libxul.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/libxul.so) Couldn't load XPCOM.

I have noticed that debian had a big update recently, including libc (exactly the same update that caused the regen of locales to fail, this was reported in another thread but it’s unrelated to the torbrowser issue).

[quote=“Dennis, post:9, topic:599”]One small bug is that it starts with a blank page, but Typing “about:tor” into the browser’s address field brings up the expected congratulations page.

The preferences settings do have “show my home page” for when the browser starts, and “about:tor” for the home page.[/quote]
This is by design. See:

I missed that thread. Link please.

Dear adrelanos.

Have the same Problem. But i had done the Gateway Workaround before. So today i made my sudo apt-get. Works fine.Than i install new Tor Browser and try to start. Nothin happens. So with double-click after the Error Message it works. What made i wrong?

Best Regards!

townsend

Two probable sources for error:

1. The fixes aren’t in the stable repository yet.
  2. Reboot of workstation required after upgrading.

Reboot done. Nothing changes Adrelanos. Question. Can i fix this formyself with this Workaround

Tor Browser 4.x compatibility fix · Whonix/anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor@0dc10da · GitHub
Tor Browser 4.x compatibility fix · Kicksecure/tb-starter@13db5d2 · GitHub

or is it the better Way to wait for the fixed Version of Whonix?

Best Regards!

townsend

You probably just don’t have the updated packages
anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor 0.6-1
tb-starter 0.5-1
yet.

Manual fix has the same result. I don’t mind anyone manual fix or upgrade from source. Either way.

Whonix 9.3 which includes the fix has been released as well.

Speaking of these minor upgrades to Whonix…

To have the current version, is it necessary to download the latest images and reinstall from scratch or does one get the same result by doing a “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” on each vm?

[quote=“Patrick, post:12, topic:599”][quote author=Greenwhonix link=topic=636.msg4871#msg4871 date=1413796092]
that caused the regen of locales to fail, this was reported in another thread but it’s unrelated to the torbrowser issue).
[/quote]
I missed that thread. Link please.[/quote]

I meant this thread. Whonix Forum

Edit: today’s update fixed it. TBB 4.0 works for me now.

Thank you very much Adrelanos. I made 9.3 Update, than it works fine. A Short Question. How can i show what kind of Release (9.2 9.3) on Whonix i have?

[quote=“Patrick, post:16, topic:599”]You probably just don’t have the updated packages
anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor 0.6-1
tb-starter 0.5-1
yet.

Manual fix has the same result. I don’t mind anyone manual fix or upgrade from source. Either way.

Whonix 9.3 which includes the fix has been released as well.[/quote]

With best Regards!

townsend

[quote=“Dennis, post:17, topic:599”]Speaking of these minor upgrades to Whonix…

To have the current version, is it necessary to download the latest images and reinstall from scratch or does one get the same result by doing a “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” on each vm?[/quote]
The latter is sufficient. Should a new image be required one day, then there will be a notification in Whonix News (Download Whonix ™ (FREE)). I try to prevent the requirement for fresh images, but you’ll never know.