After updating to Tor Browser 4.0, Browser doesn't start

Kind as in stable, testers-only and so forth? Will always be announced in Whonix important blog, see also:

Or version numbers?
Those are always shows in whonixcheck, see also:

[quote=“Patrick, post:20, topic:599”][quote author=Dennis link=topic=636.msg4888#msg4888 date=1413892863]
Speaking of these minor upgrades to Whonix…

To have the current version, is it necessary to download the latest images and reinstall from scratch or does one get the same result by doing a “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” on each vm?
[/quote]
The latter is sufficient. Should a new image be required one day, then there will be a notification in Whonix News (Download Whonix ™ (FREE)). I try to prevent the requirement for fresh images, but you’ll never know.[/quote]

I don’t know it’s a problem with my config, but when the Whonix APT Repository is disabled, whonixcheck WILL NOT notify me about new releases (“Whonix News Download Result: Installed Whonix Build Version 9 is up to date.”)

If this is by design, I think it should be changed, as it’s somehow contradictory (ok, I don’t want the upgrades to be installed automatically, but I still want to be notified about new releases!)
Am I missing something?

The build version is up to date as such, as no issues have been found in these versions that we could not support further by apt updates only without getting a new image. (Whonix 7 -> 8 upgrades as an example was not supported, because too extensive package changes and downgrading from debian testing to stable.)

The whonix-(gateway|workstation)-packages-dependencies 0.4-1 version is also up to date as such as well. It is only a list of packages that are considered essential. When those change and a new one is released, you will be notified. Or when a security upgrade of any of Whonix’s packages will be required, I’ll bump that version number as well.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a mechanism that notifies about arbitrary upgrades Whonix packages. Having a script that extracts latest versions, adds them to Whonix News and makes whonixcheck look at it would be good. If one wanted to help add it, that’s be most appreciated!

Thank you very much for the answering. Just OK for me.

[quote=“Patrick, post:20, topic:599”][quote author=Dennis link=topic=636.msg4888#msg4888 date=1413892863]
Speaking of these minor upgrades to Whonix…

To have the current version, is it necessary to download the latest images and reinstall from scratch or does one get the same result by doing a “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” on each vm?
[/quote]
The latter is sufficient. Should a new image be required one day, then there will be a notification in Whonix News (Download Whonix ™ (FREE)). I try to prevent the requirement for fresh images, but you’ll never know.[/quote]

Best Regards!

townsend