Workstation keeps causing my pc to crash

Hello, I’m not sure if this is related to a hardware issue or a Whonix issue.

I previously used many versions of whonix and never had an issue. The pc I’m running it on is only 4GB ram, but as I mentioned, all previous versions I had used worked fine.

I recently installed Ubuntu 19.04 and installed virtualbox. I initially used whonix 14 and it worked fine. But after upgrading to 14, the VM’s run fine on the initial setup, but after the updates are performed, when I restart the workstation at a different time, my whole PC freezes. Does anyone know what can cause this? Previous versions worked fine. Is there log files stored anywhere? Thanks.

Haven’t looked into Ubuntu for years, because…

(Host Operating System Selection - Whonix)

I guess nowadays Ubuntu is using systemd as init system and thereby journalctl for logs.

So this is more a question for your host operating system (Ubuntu) and/or VirtualBox. Nothing that Whonix does should be capable of crashing the host computer. Otherwise these by definition are Ubuntu and/or VirtualBox bugs.

Our instructions for viewing logs work on Debian (and Whonix, since it is a derivative of Debian). Dunno if they would work on Ubuntu too. Rather than doing them in a VM (which you could try too), you could try them on the host. See:

Troubleshooting - Whonix

Maybe you are “lucky” and could watch systemd journal log when this issue is happening?

Troubleshooting - Whonix

Otherwise if above does not help, you could Enable Persistent Systemd Journal Log:

Troubleshooting - Whonix

(Dunno if Ubuntu by default uses persistent systemd journal log or not.)

And then after freeze and after reboot, Check Systemd Journal Log of Previous Boot:

Troubleshooting - Whonix

Please also read Free Support for Whonix ™.