Workstation fried?

I updated to Whonix 13 without ‘reinstalling’. All good. First update ~36packages - gateway updates fine. Workstation crashes a couple of times. Upon --configure -a it crashes again and then when I run it all I get is the following ‘welcome’ screen:

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub> _

I really need assistance with it as my data is not backed up…
thanks!

Good day,

Did you follow this guide: Release Upgrade - Whonix

Also, what hypervisor are you using?

Have a nice day,

Ego

Hi. I followed the guide. The actual update was flawless. A couple of days later I did the update that crashed and caused the grub error.
I’m using oracle VirtualBox.

I’m following this guide - GRUB 2 - Fedora Project Wiki
It’s the only thing out there that doesn’t tell me to do it through Live CD.
It’s good up to step 5 as I don’t know the version of my vmlinuz or initframs…

Just to clarify again. The crash is not following the transitional update from whonix 12 to 13 but just a regular, additional update after the transition.

So grub> ls gives me hd0 and msdos1 which in terms produce
lost+found/ vmlinuz var/ bin/ usr/ lib/ etc/ tmp.… and more without any further details on version or location.

Then I found the following which seems to be responsive but i dont know the key details which I’ve marked in bold italic and need to be changed with the appropriate inputs to fit my system.

set root=(hd0,msdos1)
set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/ x86__64-efi
insmod linux
linux /caspervmlinuz file=/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
boot

If I just skip the marked in bold entries and hit boot the system tries to boot but I get Kernel Panic error.

I think if someone can provide me with the current vmlinuz number and the current initrd.img number I should be able to boot the system…
The ones in bold is what I need I hope
grub> set root=(hd0,1)
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic root=/dev/sda1
grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-generic
grub> boot

Not sure about about the partition. If I’m using VirtualBox, is it dev/sda1 or different?

edit: by running ls (hd0,msdos1)/boot I find the needed versions. However when running linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4–686 root=/dev/sda1
I get File not found… I’m a bit stuck…

After a lot of effort it seems this sorted it out:

grub> set root=(hd0,1)
grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
grub> initrd /initrd.img
grub> boot

Will write when it’s fixed conclusively so we can trash this thread:)

Done. Fixed. Trash it.