Workstation freezes completely

Trying to install Whonix by using Virtualbox. But having some issues.

Installing the Gateway works fine, the updates and upgrades are complete. But installing the Workstation is a problem. When starting the Workstation it freezes when the system is booting. The only solution is to restart the host computer.

I’m not sure what more information I should give to solve this problem. Please lead me here.

Can you try please if this does happen with a Debian jessie KDE VM also?

Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply. Could you please clarify this for me? Do you mean that I should try and install Debian Jessie in the VM?

In a new, separate VM. As if you wouldn’t know about Whonix.

Installing Debian Jessie tool a long time. During the installation the VM/host computer did not freeze. This happened:

• Installation completed
  • Debian booted itself again
  • When booting I see a black screen (terminal?) “Debian [Running] - Oracle VM Virtualbox”
  • The start terminal ask for login and password.
  • After login terminal shows:
    "Linux debian 3.16.0-4-586 #1 Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u2 (2015-07-17) i686

The program includes with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software: the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law."

username@debian:~$

• I wasn’t sure what to do with this screen. So I closed it + saved.
  • When trying to start Debian from VM again an error occurs:
    " Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian.

Failed to load unit ‘CSAM’ (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"

So you have bigger issues - unrelated to Whonix - to solve first before you can use Whonix. In case of such issues, you need prerequisite knowledge. Namely, Debian KDE + virtualizer. Also as per:

You can contact those communities, because it’s unrelated to Whonix. They much more resources to assist you.

Also Windows hosts are a big issue unrelated from this:

That’s a bummer. Can you tell me what the issues are or in which area I should search?

For start, fixing the issue you just posted above + getting Debian KDE running in a virtualizer. That would give you basic knowledge. And help to find out if Whonix is causing these issues, which is unlikely, because such reports are rare. Or you would happen to fix the underlying issue, which might be unrelated to Whonix, more likely.

Ok, thanks for your help.

What version of VirtualBox are you using?

I’ve got troubles with the workstation and VirtualBox 5, as reported here

Reverting to VirtualBox-4.x helped

Patrick et al

Ever since Whonix 10~11 (can’t remember exactly, I’ve been having the same problem! of workstation freezing up completely. I downloaded the latest ~ova’s, imported them into Virtualbox. Applied latest updates/upgrades, installed TOR browser. I can start the workstation and use Firefox browser w/o any problem. But, happens EVERY time, when I start the TOR browser within seconds to minutes the workstation completely freezes requiring reset. The gateway is unaffected. I can run other applications w/o the freeze - eg: synaptic, emacs, etc. Only TOR browser seems to trigger this problem.

I don’t have another Debian machine to try this with. I’ve run TOR browser standalone, also via proxy and over JonDo w/o any problem.

Wish I can give you more info.

attila

Did you change any VirtualBox settings or anything inside in Whonix besides updating?

Please try assigning more RAM in VirtualBox settings for the workstation. Does that help?

OK - that was too easy. More RAM solved/solves the problem. Sorry - should have thought of that 1st.

Thx Patrick

PS: Whonix is STILL my first, foremost go-to browser environment.

1 Like