Wickr problem, help

I successfully installed Wickr inside whonix, everything works well except i can’t send files…i get an error message when i try to send file “File transfer error”. Can someone help me with that?

Wickr is closed source. Solutions for Wickr documentation and support were a result of paid support as there’s no other reason for us to care.

For reference:

Support: Professional Support

It’s not clear I could fix that, even if paid.

They wrote this on their site…i’ve tried everything but simply can’t fix it.

"Your pictures and other files may not go through if the timestamp on the file/image message does not match what is being reported by your device.

To resolve, please try setting the time/date to automatically update on the device, then restart the device, open Wickr, and try sending attachments again."

It seems it doesn’t like UTC time and insists on having it match your last known timezone or something.

You can mess around with the system clock on Whonix but beware it will mess up fingerprint

1 Like

Solution for this problem is actually very simple…when you want to send a file wickr ask you to write the name of the file and you just change it…for example file123 to file1234.

But now i have another problem with wickr installation on the newest Whonix version (15-XFCE)…I’m getting multiple error messages.

When trying to open ubuntu.list with this command (kdesudo mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.list) it gives me this error…

WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list’
kdesudo: command not found

…so i use terminal whonix command (sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.list)…i paste recommended repo lines, save it and that’s it.

After updating dependencies (sudo apt-get update), it gives me this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/cnf-update-db”, line 26, in
col.create(db)
File “/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py”, line 94, in create
self._fill_commands(con)
File “/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py”, line 132, in _fill_commands
self._parse_single_contents_file(con, f, fp.stdout)
File “/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py”, line 228, in _parse_single_contents_file
l = l.decode(“utf-8”)
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xed in position 15: invalid continuation byte
Reading package lists… Done
E: Release file for tor+https://deb.debian.org/debian-security/dists/buster/updates/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 1h 37min 16s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Problem executing scripts APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success ‘if /usr/bin/test -w /var/lib/command-not-found/ -a -e /usr/lib/cnf-update-db; then /usr/lib/cnf-update-db > /dev/null; fi’
E: Sub-process returned an error code

Help?

I was trying to follow this:

I didn’t expect to get stuck at how to download the .deb files, but here you go.

when trying to use the instructions in

the download page does not make the files available. Apparently the only way to download them is though “Desktop store”.

I thought it’s an issue of not enabling JS, nope. Or that it’s another feature blocked by Tor browser, but it doesn’t work for me also on a plain default firefox.

How does one d/l the @#%@$ files. Do we need to install snap?

Therefore, most likely not an issue caused by Whonix. You could try to resolve this issue as per Self Support First Policy for Whonix. As wickr, they might now better.

:~$ sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb/package.deb

Thanks @anontor but the problem wasn’t how to install a deb package but where to download it from. It’s not available at any of the links above. The instruction on their site, for Debian, consist on using snap. Following them (on a fresh workstation of course):

sudo apt-get install snapd
sudo snap install wickrme

installs wickme, but when trying to run it the following error occurs:

./WickrMe: error while loading shared libraries: libsqlcipher.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyway, the .deb files do get created using snap, so I later tried to follow the procedure in the wiki with them, but got the same apt-get breaking issue as @anonimac reported above.

1 Like

Works for me in Qubes-Whonix. Documentation updated just now.

1 Like

Hi @,

I followed the Wiki but unfortunately I can’t launch Wickr.

Please find below the error message I get:

user@host:~$ wickrme
Command 'wickrme' is available in '/snap/bin/wickrme'
The command could not be located because '/snap/bin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
wickrme: command not found

Any help would be very welcome as I don’t want to make something wrong on my system.

Thanks in advance to the Community.

The solution is already inside the error message.

/snap/bin/wickrme

Reboot required. [3]

[3] So snap can add itself to the PATH environment variable. Otherwise you could after installation start it from absolute path.

/snap/bin/wickrme

1 Like

I execute the command:

sudo apt-get install snapd

and goes successfull. Then I reboot. And when I am going to install another package (sudo snap install wickrme), I get the following error:

user@host:~$ snap list
No snaps are installed yet. Try 'snap install hello-world'.
user@host:~$ snap install hello-world
error: cannot install "hello-world": Post
       https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/refresh: dial tcp: lookup
       api.snapcraft.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:40036->[::1]:53: read:
       connection refused
user@host:~$ snap install --devmode wickrme
error: cannot install "wickrme": Post
       api.snapcraft.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:60220->[::1]:53: read:
       connection refused

So I do not know what to do. I have created a whonix-workstation-clone, so there is no problem if I have to execute risky commands.
I also tryied to install wickrme in kicksecure, but when I am installing a package of snapcraft, in the top right corner, instead of having a blue i, it turns into live; automatically without doing nothing.

zuass via Whonix Forum:

api.snapcraft.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:60220->[::1]:53: read:
   connection refused

Try with Debian / over clearnet if you can. If that works, perhaps snap
server is banning (some) Tor relays (sometimes).

Try change your Tor circuit.

Control and Monitor Tor

Perhaps that would is sufficient already.

1 Like

I installed in other virtual OS, now I am going to follow the tutorial you told me on how to connect otherOS to whonix gateway. Perfect

Installed wickrpro on Whonix Workstation and i get the following error

user@host:~$ snap run wickrpro

(WickrPro:2769): dbind-WARNING **: 21:47:38.536: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
[0915/214738.802633:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(116)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
Qt WebEngine ICU data not found at /opt/qt512/resources. Trying parent directory…
Qt WebEngine ICU data not found at /opt/qt512. Trying application directory…
Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /opt/qt512/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory…
Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /snap/wickrpro/462/usr/bin/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory… Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path ‘/home/user/snap/wickrpro/462/.QtWebEngineProcess’
Qt WebEngine resources not found at /opt/qt512/resources. Trying parent directory…
Qt WebEngine resources not found at /opt/qt512. Trying application directory…
[0915/214738.876830:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(116)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale
ALSA lib control.c:1373:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
ALSA lib control.c:1373:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0

The application cant open file browser

Whonix doesn’t produce WickrMe / snap. Therefore try reproduce and solve on Debian stable as per:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Free_Support_Principle

Hi @,

Since a few time I can’t start WickrMe anymore. I get a grey window and I am not able to use it even after entering the correct credentials.

I think the issue is the version installed and which I am using. I followed the Wiki in the past and it was successful. Anyway, nowadays an upgrade should be done in my opinion and this could be the problem.

Would somebody kinldy help me to solve that issue?

Thanks in advance.

Edit : solved following this
I first uninstalled the previous version

Don’t know if I am correct using this store…At least problem is solved and I have the latest version of WickrMe working perfectly.

2 posts were split to a new topic: WickrMe: snap install wickrme error: snap “wickrme” not found