whonix-xfce-installer-cli fails on kicksecure

I just did a fresh install of Kicksecure and for some reason when I try to run whonix-xfce-installer-cli it always fails (even if I use any of the other mirrors). it only works if I use the --onion flag but it’s saying it’ll take 14 hours. I’d rather know the cause of it instead of avoiding it in case it pops up later. I kept getting this error while running it

“(35) OpenSSL/3.0.13: error:0A00010B:SSL routines::wrong version number”

I tried visiting the whonix website in Firefox and I get this:

"
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to whonix . org. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

"

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Something is wrong on your internet could be from your ISP till your router… hard to figure out which, but i cant reproduce your issues.

1 Like

Your name suggest China. I wouldn’t be surprised if China iS blocking.

Or your host operating system is outdated? Lacking support for modern TLS.

Try using --mirror=1 or 2.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whonix/comments/1f51dxp/im_on_kicksecure_and_cant_access_whonix_even_in/

Go into the three bar menu on Firefox, go down and select settings, then select “Privacy & Security” from the list on the left side of the screen. Scroll down to the bottom and turn off Firefox’s secure DNS. That should allow you to connect to the whonix website. If you are using the iso version of kicksecure, this may be the source of your other error. It is a testing version.

*Update
I was running Kicksecure live and after reboot - just turning off Firefox’s DNS no longer worked for connecting to the website. I was using my ISPs DNS. But after switching to my VPNs DNS it connected to whonix.org. Other DNS servers seem to work as well. I’ll update again if I can ever get whonix(system) to install.

The original poster used whonix-xfce-installer-cli, not Firefox.

However, other DNS settings and/or tunnels such as VPNs might help indeed.