Whonix with Windows VM

I have been using Xubuntu and so I installed the Whonix Gateway and Workstation virtual machines thru VirtualBox.

I must use a particular windows application, and would normally create a virtual machine with an old version of windows to host my needed program. (Obviously, it runs better within a genuine native environment.) How should this best be accomplished?

I am concerned about the number of virtual machines running, as well as the need they may have to access the Internet for updates and such. What is the recommendation in this case. Should this be another virtual machine inside the Whonix workstation?

1. search for a Linux replacement
  2. if not possible, use WINE (running some Windows applications on Linux) as per Free Support for Whonix ™
  3. if you must use Anonymize Other Operating Systems
  1. There is absolutely no comparable application for the one I must use.
  2. WINE does not work well with many programs. It simply isn’t “native” enough.
  3. I will try to understand all this. There appears to be many layers to consider.

I will probably use ME.

Thank you.

Good day,

I’m sorry and maybe I’m misunderstanding you here, but do you mean Windows Millennium Edition when you write ME?

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Yes.

Good day,

I’m sorry to say, but that is unsupported. Using any Version older then 7 in conjunction with Whonix wouldn’t really make sense due to the non existent security updates.

Also, ME really wasn’t that fun to use in the first place…

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Bummer. I liked it a lot. Besides, I own it. And my software runs on it.

But if you’d like to discuss it. Note that I have strong opinions regarding the usability of the various microsoft products. Besides, I found it extremely easy to configure and use compared to the previous options I had. Networking was a piece of cake. Nothing has ever been that easy since then.

Good day,

Oh, I’m sorry, didn’t want to offend you with that. The issue is mainly the non existent patching for a host of security issues, as well as the fact that due to massive changes in the Network Interface since then, I’m not that certain the usual Whonix-Windows configuration would work properly under ME. Equally, as far as I’m Aware, there is limited Support for Thing like the Tor Browser Bundle on it.

Have a nice day,

Ego

You cannot own Windows. You can only have valid licenses for it. It’s
not Libre Software. That’s the problem. No one legally has the source
code. Hence, even if the fan community wanted, they could not legally
patch it to make it fit for the modern times, i.e. at least release
security fixes.