Whonix Project looking for Translations Coordinator

[html]

Whonix is an anonymous general purpose operating system based on Virtual Box, Debian GNU/Linux and Tor. It has its focus on anonymity, privacy, security and usability.

The Whonix project is looking for a volunteer Translations Coordinator.

Your task:

If you are interested, please sign up for the Whonix Development Forum [2] and say hello.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Language_Extension_Bundle

[2] Whonix Forum

[/html]

hello.
i’m a professional translator and a hacktivist, I have coordinated for more than 10 years the multilanguage translation of an autonomous server (at the moment we use git to update it) and I have a certain experience with mediawiki. Working as a volunteer with this autonomous server, I’ve also written texts and offered workshops on digital security, and lately I’ve been experimenting with Whonix and Qubes and I’m recommending them widely.
If you think I can help, just let me know.
What I need to understand is what the translations coordinator will have to do with the mediawiki translation extension after reading the documentation. Besides, I wondered if it would be possible to switch to git for updating the translations.
obaz

I am afraid, there is no reliable mediawiki git bridge. Git bases backups are possible, though.

Tasks:

• preparing wiki pages for translation, i.e. adding the required wiki markup
  • getting translators started
  • answering questions translators might have
  • fixing markup by translators, stuff like this [[link|description] -> [[link|description]], perhaps educating them about common mistakes
  • talking to the creators of the wiki translate extension in case you have open questions on how to use it
  • you’re the coordinator, you’re not supposed to translate it all yourself, although it would help if you would translate at least one or two pages yourself, because then you have a good understanding on how it works for translators
  • that’s it basically, all that comes to my mind

Yes, please help!

OK. I’ll start by experimenting with whonix (if i manage to overcome the initial hurdles :p), studying the wiki multilanguage extension and translate some pages into italian.
obaz

Awesome! :slight_smile:

whonix.org wiki translation / mediawiki extension translate - technical discussion