Whonix overall safety? New user shooting himself in the foot with settings

My question is assuming we use Whonix over Tor Browser Bundle on Linux Ubuntu through Virtual Box which is stated on documentation to be not as safe as using Whonix with Tails or Qubes. However, assuming a user leaves the settings alone except for forbidding flash and Java and increase the security settings on tor to medium high. I haven’t touched any of the other settings. On the host I do use the firefox random browser agent spoofer where it changes your browser type how ever frequently you like. I know this has nothing to do with Whonix browsing as it is on the host. My main question is am I safer using Whonix over the Tor Browser Bundle? I have read the documentation and I must be honest only some of it made sense to me as I am not that tech savy. So my question is someone who is running Whonix safer than someone just using the Tor Browser Bundle??

Thank you for any help.

Good day,

first of all, it is impossible, to use Whonix with Tails. Furthermore, what do you mean by “using Whonix over the Tor Browser Bundle”? The TBB is included with Whonix inside the Workstation and should there and only there be used. Furthermore, changes to it are not recommended (if you aren’t 100% knowledged in what you do), outside of using the, by you mentioned, sliders. And, to answer your last question, someone using Whonix in a proper configuration is far safer than someone using the TBB on host. Like I’ve said, Whonix uses the TBB itself, though in an isolated workstation, were IP leaks are impossible.

Have a nice day,

Ego

I was under the impression that Whonix was a better option for Tails users as it would allow Tails users to use a VPN . I am probably wrong but that is what I recall hearing on deep dot web. As far as Whonix I do know it uses the Tor Browser Bundle, I was just wondering what methods of safety it offers when you are using Whonix on Ubuntu versus just Tor Browser Bundle. I know it explains a lot of the answers to my question in the documentaion section. However, I would appreciate it if someone would explain some of extra safety features whonix using TBBoffers over just using TBB by itself without Whonix.

Also I know that running Whonix on Linux Ubuntu on Virtual box is considered not very safe,  Is there anything that can be modified or done to increase the security of this type of setup?

I hope that makes sense

Good day,

first of all, without wanting to offend anyone, the people at DDW aren’t the “most trustworthy experts” in their field. Not a long time ago, they actually published a guide in which they recommended using the Google (!) 2FA android app, over a GPG based 2FA solution, which was probably one of the worst tips they could ever give anyone. Whonix however, does offer a few more security features over Tails or the TBB on host, we actually made a comparison here: Anonymity Operating System Comparison - Whonix ™ vs Tails vs Tor Browser Bundle There, everything is, in detail, explained. Also, using Whonix over VBox isn’t intrinsignley unsafer, than for example KVM, however, it is “less open sourcey”, which is why we are supporting alternatives as well. The only “safer” configuration, using one PC, is one using Qubes, but such a configuration is safer than KVM as well, see: Why use Qubes over other Virtualizers?

Have a nice day,

Ego

As an addition, an argument is being made here, that KVM is more secure than VirtualBox: