Whonix on Mac M1 (ARM) - User Support (still unsupported at time of writing)

I made a change to the source code. It’s not required and no longer installed for arm64 builds.

2 Likes

I built Whonix 17, which is built on Debian Bookworm, which has fp-compiler-3.2.2 in main repos, so there was no fp-compiler issue anymore.

Quick Question, after following the apple silicon Soc guide, and building the utm iso of whonix, the gate way is 107GB is this normal? I only have 256gb in Mac book air this is eating up so much space… Any advice on what I can do? The work station is quite large too.

Related:

Don’t know how that works on Mac.

Are these sparse files or actually taking the space?

Well I’m not 100% sure but the macos system storage is showing the space as used up, other option is uploading to iCloud or put on microSD.

Tor browser updater wont allow to download tor browser, I tried using ARCH=arm64 update-torbrowser and it fails the signatures check

update-torbrowser
INFO: chroot: is_chroot=true is not set, ok.
INFO: Auto detecting ARCH…
INFO: ARCH ‘aarch64’ detected.
INFO: Auto detecting ARCH_DOWNLOAD…
INFO: ARCH_DOWNLOAD ‘linux-arm64’ detected.
INFO: CURL_PROXY: --proxy socks5h://tb-updater_4450ccdb-4805-4b5e-aef4-e81f03ba0094:password@10.152.152.10:9115
INFO: Not running inside Qubes Disposable Template, ok.
INFO: Using stable version. For alpha version, see: Tor Browser Essentials
INFO: Running Tor enabled check… Done.
INFO: Running Tor bootstrap check… Done.
INFO: Skipping ‘tb_connectivity_checks_curl’, because tb_skip_functions includes it.
INFO: Find out latest version… Downloading…: https://aus1.torproject.org/torbrowser/update_3/release/downloads.json
INFO: CURL_OUT_FILE: /home/user/.cache/tb/RecommendedTBBVersions
INFO: Learn more about this Download Confirmation Notification.
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Browser/Download_Confirmation_Notification
INFO: Previously downloaded version: none
INFO: Currently installed version: None installed. (Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser does not exist.)
INFO: Online detected version: 12.5.2
QUESTION: Download now?
y/n?
y
INFO: Requested Tor Browser version only support an ALL locale, fetching it.
INFO: Because you are not using --nokilltb, now killing potentially still running instances of Tor Browser…
firefox.real: no process found
INFO: Digital signature (GPG) download… Will take a moment…
INFO: Downloading…: Download tor-browser-linux-arm64-12.5.2_ALL.tar.xz.asc (Tor Browser Ports)
INFO: CURL_OUT_FILE: /home/user/.cache/tb/files/tor-browser-linux-arm64-12.5.2_ALL.tar.xz.asc
INFO: Downloading Tor Browser…
INFO: Downloading…: Download tor-browser-linux-arm64-12.5.2_ALL.tar.xz (Tor Browser Ports)
INFO: CURL_OUT_FILE: /home/user/.cache/tb/files/tor-browser-linux-arm64-12.5.2_ALL.tar.xz
INFO: Digital signature (GPG) verification… This will take a moment…
INFO: Using digital signature signing key by Heikki Lindholm.
ARM64 Tor Browser Maintainer
ERROR: Digital signature (GPG) could NOT be verified.
Tor Browser update failed! Try again later.

gpg_bash_lib_output_alright_status:
gpg_bash_lib_output_failure:

gpg_bash_lib_output_diagnostic_message:

gpg_bash_lib_internal_gpg_verify_status_fd_file: /home/user/.cache/tb/gpgtmpdir/gpg_bash_lib_internal_gpg_verify_status_fd_file
gpg_bash_lib_internal_gpg_verify_output_file: /home/user/.cache/tb/gpgtmpdir/gpg_bash_lib_internal_gpg_verify_output_file
gpg_bash_lib_output_gpg_import_output:
gpg: keybox ‘/home/user/.cache/tb/gpgtmpdir/pubring.kbx’ created
gpg: /home/user/.cache/tb/gpgtmpdir/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 6AF15D1E45FDCEC9: public key "Heikki Lindholm " imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1
gpg_bash_lib_output_gpg_verify_output:
gpg: Signature made Sun Aug 6 13:09:04 2023 UTC
gpg: using EDDSA key F5DAAED7A3A5BA2F429D2C5CCFFF1D4136F3AFA6
gpg: Can’t check signature: No public key
gpg_bash_lib_output_gpg_verify_status_fd_output:
zsh: exit 12 update-torbrowser

Probably outdated tb-updater package version.

Your image was probably created without --repo true, so without Kicksecure and without Whonix repository, so you’re not getting updates.

Solution:

Either A) update tb-udpater from source code or B) update from distribution repository.

1. Enable the repository with the following command or by reading Whonix ™ APT Repository.

sudo repository-dist --enable --repository stable

2. Update according to the usual documentation. (Operating System Software and Updates) (Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

3. Done.

Might be fixed.

Outdated.

translation:
“Please send me malware.”

Bad idea inviting strangers sending binaries.

Note:

Took a while to figure it out, so I’ll share for anyone who might find it useful.

On Debian 11, the trick was to install the fpc-3.2.2 package (free Pascal compiler) from the Debian backports repo, instead of version 3.2.0 (fp-compiler-3.2.0) that is installed with the build. The backports repo was added as explained in https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/, and then apt install fpc/bullseye-backports. After this, building worked using these commands (thanks to @moonme):

git clone --jobs=4 --recurse-submodules https://github.com/Whonix/derivative-maker.git

cd derivative-maker && git checkout --recurse-submodules 16.1.1.5-stable

~/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-gateway-xfce --target utm --arch arm64 --build --tb open

~/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-workstation-xfce --target utm --arch arm64 --build --tb open

After these steps, ~/derivative-binary/16.1.1.5/ contained the .tar.gz archives.

Why use Debian 11 / bullseye and Whonix 16 if both are already oldstable, meaning not the latest stable?

Um, mostly because I followed the macOS Wiki that said to download Debian bullseye :sweat_smile:

I actually tried to build Whonix 17 on Debian 12, but the build failed after some time, so I wasn’t sure if I should wait for a “stable” tag before trying stuff out…

Anyway, tried it again after your message, building tag 17.0.4.0 worked, so thanks!

Whonix ™ VM Build Documentation chapter Choose Version in Whonix wiki

1 Like

Is there anyway to make the sparse file normal size?

Convert sparse to non-sparse? Possible but then you’d waste space. Why would you want this?

What’s normal size?

What’s the issue you trying to solve?

related:

I’m trying to convert the whonix gateway and whonix workstation utm file which is 107gb each atm to a non-sparse utm file so I can store it in my hard drive on the MacBook instead of a sd card. So I can utilise the FDE. With the current form of the utm images it takes up all of the space on the hardrive. I only have 256gb. So when I put the images on hardrive all the space is taken up. When I followed the build guide, after it finished the files were 107gb. I know that they are usually much much less, 1-2Gb or something like that.

What can I do to resolve this issue.

The normal size of the whonix images I meant, for example on a virtual box download the images are small.

Does this make sense?

I need to convert whonix utm images from their apparent size of 107g to the real size, so I can store it on my hard drive

Try to find some Mac support who can tell you how to use sparse files or some image format on Mac that supports sparse files.

Build command append for 25 GB size:

--vmsize 25G

Or some other number.

Thanks for this, this has solved the problem, i have another problem with whonix gateway, everytime i reboot the vm the time is off i have to manually fix it every time.

So boot then run system check and get this error

[gateway user ~]% systemcheck
[INFO] [systemcheck] Tor Connection Result:
- Connecting for 0 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Tor Circuit: established.
- Tor reports: NOTICE BOOTSTRAP PROGRESS=100 TAG=done SUMMARY="Done"
- Timesync status: not done.
- sdwdate reports: Preparation not done yet. More more information,             see: sdwdate-gui -> right click -> Open sdwdate's log
- onion-time-pre-script reports: 
__ ### START: ### /usr/libexec/helper-scripts/onion-time-pre-script
__ Status: Subsequent run after boot.
__ Static Time Sanity Check: Within minimum time 'Mon Jun 12 00:00:00 UTC 2023' and expiration timestamp 'Tue May 17 10:00:00 UTC 2033', ok.
__ Tor reports: NOTICE BOOTSTRAP PROGRESS=100 TAG=done SUMMARY="Done"
__ Tor circuit: established
__ Tor Consensus Time Sanity Check: The clock might be too fast. Clock is faster than consensus/valid-until 2023-09-10 14:00:00. extra guess: Tor consensus might be outdated and download might still be in progress since this is the first run after boot.
__ anondate_use: Running 'anondate-set' (by creating file '/run/sdwdate/request_anondate-set')...
__ ### END: ### Exiting with exit_code '2' indicating 'wait, show busy icon and retry.'.
- Connecting for 2 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- sdwdate reports: Preparation not done yet. More more information,             see: sdwdate-gui -> right click -> Open sdwdate's log
__ Static Time Sanity Check: Within minimum time 'Mon Jun 12 00:00:00 UTC 2023' and expiration timestamp 'Tue May 17 10:00:00 UTC 2033', ok.
__ Tor Consensus Time Sanity Check: The clock might be too fast. Clock is faster than consensus/valid-until 2023-09-10 14:00:00. extra guess: Tor consensus might be outdated and download might still be in progress since this is the first run after boot.
__ anondate_use: Running 'anondate-set' (by creating file '/run/sdwdate/request_anondate-set')...
__ ### END: ### Exiting with exit_code '2' indicating 'wait, show busy icon and retry.'.
- Connecting for 4 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 6 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 8 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 10 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 12 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 14 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 16 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 18 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 20 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 22 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 24 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 26 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 28 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 30 seconds. | 100 % done. 
- Connecting for 32 seconds. | 100 % done. 
^Csystemcheck: signal SIGINT received. Cleaning up... Exiting...
[INFO] [systemcheck] systemcheck aborted! (SIGNAL_TYPE: SIGINT)

then this after systemcheck is done 

ERROR: Time Synchronization Result: 
systemcheck gave up waiting. 

Time synchronization status: pending 
sdwdate reports: Preparation not done yet. More more information, see: sdwdate-gui -> right click -> Open sdwdate's log 
whonix_firewall status: first run after boot 
onion-time-pre-script reports: 

Possible issues:

• sdwdate will need a few more moments for fetching the time.
  • sdwdate time sources might be dysfunctional.

Recommendations:

A) Rerun systemcheck:
Start Menu → System → systemcheck
or in Terminal: systemcheck
or more verbose in Terminal: systemcheck --verbose --gui --cli

B) Restart sdwdate.
Start Menu → System → sdwdate-gui → right click on sdwdate-gui systray → Restart sdwdate
or in Terminal: sudo service sdwdate restart

C) Manually set the time.

As last resort…

1. Open a terminal. (Start Menu → System → Terminal)
  2. Use the manual clock setting tool.
    sudo --set-home clock-random-manual-gui
  3. Simulate sdwdate success.
    sudo -u sdwdate touch /run/sdwdate/first_success
  4. Rerun systemcheck.

once this is done it works but then after reboot i have to repeatr this. anyway to fix this?