Whonix KVM Image Rollback?

I installed Whonix KVM version 16.0.9.8 a few months ago. About 2 months or so ago, it changed to 16.0.9.0. Has there been a rollback?

I verified my installation (16.0.9.8) with PGP and compared the checksums and it it’s all good. Both gateway and workstation VMs are working normally. Now I’m confused why the version went back. Possible rollback attack?

Where did you read the version number?

I don’t think there ever way any rollback ever.

If that was to ever happen, this would require a Whonix News.

Version numbers might confuse you. See:
systemcheck - Security Check Application chapter Version Numbers in Kicksecure wiki
(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

Note: I am not a maintainer of Whonix KVM.

On the Whonix KVM page (https:// www.whonix .org/wiki/KVM#Download_Whonix_%E2%84%A2), the download link has the version number.

It wasn’t the version number in the virtual machine, but the image itself. On the Whonix KVM page, the download link shows the version number. That was the version that changed.

I checked with the Kicksecure website and the same thing happened there with Kicksecure KVM (changed from 16.0.9.8 to 16.0.9.0). From what I could tell, this seems to be an issue with Whonix/Kicksecure images specific to KVM.

Related wiki templates:

Looking at the history (requires any wiki account):

Indeed, image download version was reverted from 16.0.9.8 to 16.0.9.0.

This happened due to a mistake. It’s related to MultiWiki. Template:Version_KVM is a MultiWiki wiki page. When editing a MultiWiki page in Whonix wiki such as for example Template:Version_KVM it shows a warning:

What happened:

1. The version number was only updated in the Whonix wiki, which was ok and good.
  2. The update was forgotten in Kicksecure wiki.
  3. Therefore the next MultiWiki deploy reverted to the earlier version.

Solution for KVM maintainer (easy, recommended):

• Edit version in Kicksecure wiki first, then edit version in Whonix wiki.

Solution for KVM maintainer (more complicated):

• Edit version in Kicksecure wiki first, then run a MultiWiki deploy.

Thanks for your timely response! I’m surprised this went unnoticed for so long.

To confirm, only the version number reverted but the image is OK? I installed 16.0.9.8 from a few months ago before the revert - is it fine to keep running this or is a reinstall suggested?

To confirm, only the version number reverted but the image is OK?

This has nothing to do with the image itself. Only the link was wrong.

I installed 16.0.9.8 from a few months ago before the revert - is it fine to keep running this or is a reinstall suggested?

I don’t see any indication.