Whonix iceweasel to download Tor browser?

Hi,

May I ask why TBB is not installed on Whonix by default?

Presumably using iceweasel to download TBB does (very briefly) compromise anonymity?

Is it a good idea to uninstall and remove iceweasel as soon as TBB is downloaded?

Thanks!

u dont need to use iceweasels if u dont have problems. just go to Tor Browser Downloader/Updater then choose which version you would like to install.

if u r asking why Tor browser is not installed by default in non-qubes users please c this:-

apachewhonix:

May I ask why TBB is not installed on Whonix by default?

Presumably using iceweasel to download TBB does (very briefly) compromise anonymity?

No. There is no problem downloading iceweasel pseudonymously. Just don’t
continue using it for other purposes.

And iceweasel is only needed as fall back. Normally, Tor Browser
Downloader by Whonix works.

Is it a good idea to uninstall and remove iceweasel as soon as TBB is downloaded?

No need.
Also difficult. (Debian Packages - Whonix)

Many thanks for the help.

I’m sure it’s all fine, I just would like to understand it better…

So in short, TBB is not installed by default for legal reasons?

When we install TBB for the first time, or update it, we are downloading it directly using Iceweasel (not using Tor)?

But the download is definitely from my real IP is that case?

Why is it okay in Whonix (not ok, but a good feature) that even if malware gets root they can’t harm us? Can’t they use Iceweasel to check the real IP? Or would the IP be different because it’s the workstation IP, not my real (=gateway) IP? But what’s the point of using Tor at all in that case?

Sorry for the questions, just a little confused

In Non-Qubes-Whonix, yes.

Everything is always routed through Tor.[quote=“apachewhonix, post:4, topic:1682”]
But the download is definitely from my real IP is that case?
[/quote]
No.

Because everything from the workstation must always be routed through Tor. Once infected with malware however, anonymity is reduced to pseudonymity.
( Tips on Remaining Anonymous. )

No.

It will be a torified connection, IP by Tor either way.

Even if compromised, pseudonymity is better than nothing at all.

Thx for helping Patrick as you are a busy man.

I don’t understand why we have iceweasel if everything is routed through Tor? How can everything be routed through Tor if we need to install Tor in the first place?

I just don’t understand, I think because Iceweasel is, as far as I am aware, not Tor, but a normal browser?

Please don’t substitute saying ‘Tor’ if you mean ‘Tor Browser’. That
causes confusion.

Routing everything through Tor is not everything we care about. We also
care about protocol level leaks.
(

)

Tor Browser comes with a lot protections to make it more anonymous
rather than pseudonymous.

(
Tips on Remaining Anonymous.
)

More info on that here:

I see. Many thanks Patrick as that makes perfect sense.

So just to clarify: Everything is routed through the Tor protocol, including downloads of Tor Browser, and even surfing the web with Iceweasel? But Tor Browser is more ideal for web surfing as that is what it is designed for.

Good day,

yes and yes.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Makes sense. Thanks!