Whonix Gateway CLI-15.0.1.5.4 - "VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 4.19.0-16-amd64" freeze

Hi, I downloaded from www[.]whonix[.]org/wiki/VirtualBox/CLI the Whonix CLI versions and imported on VirtualBox leaving all default configurations expect for “MAC Address Policy” I set on “Generate new MAC addresses for all network adapters”. And I confirmed everything.

The version of VirtualBox is 6.1.18 r142142 (Qt5.6.2) (currently the latest stable release).

After the start of the Virtual Machine, during the setup I accepted, clicked on “Ready to use Tor” and accepting all the next windows, until he finished all configuration.

Then it asks me to perform “upgrade-nonroot” command and when I perform it, the OS starts to get and install all the needed packages and then it reaches the following point in this image: https[:]//ibb[.]co/r30y4kG (sorry, I cannot upload images or use link in the post because of an error)
where it freezes at the “VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 4.19.0-16-amd64” statement. I’m waiting for 2 hours but nothing happens.

Is it a known issue?

If you need further information, let me know. Thank you

Low RAM issue?

Related:

Thank you @Patrick

It works!

Since in the documentation you reported is shown “Whonix CLI: Unaffected. No changes required”, in reality it is affected since I got the issue in Whonix CLI. Do you think is it necessary to update that documentation/forum page?

Is it suitable that the Whonix XFCE and CLI in the OVA file have default RAM configuration already set to 1280 MB instead of 512 MB since this last one is blocking for the operativity (or better, for the upgrade)?

Regards

I am not sure. We didn’t have any reports for that before.
Edited that forum thread to add a link to this forum thread.

1 Like