Whonix + android x86 Enviroment help needed

Hello and Thanks for the amazing software !

I’m trying to use My Whonix VM and my Android x86 VM (attached to internal network) to communicate with each other but when I try to set my static IP in the android emulator terminal it tells me the interface (eth0) does not exist. I tried adding the Static IP and mask to other interfaces like wlan_eth on both x86 nougat and a more reason version of the emulator but can’t get it to work.

Please point me in the right direction :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome to Whonix forums! :slight_smile:

I am not using Android x86. But the problem you’re having isn’t much Whonix related. Therefore you could try to sort it out as per Free Support for Whonix ™.

Another alternative maybe:

1 Like

Help yourself:

Here’s how to connect to the internet with Android. Once you do that it shold be possible to communicate between it and WS on the internal network

I need an additional proxy dedicated for the apps. Is that possible ?

Yeah I know dude like I said when I assign a static IP to the eth0 int it just says that the int doesn’t exist.

In that case I recommend going down the DHCP route. Once you have it setup Android will never ask you for address config.

User → Tor → proxy → Internet? In a leak free (proxy always used) way? In theory, yes. By wretching a ProxyBOX between the AndroidVM and Whonix-Gateway.

Concept in theory:

ProxyBOX

In practice: Unsupported.

See also:

You could also use android proxy settings - but if these will really use the proxy for everything or not - I haven’t checked. If I seriously needed this and wanted it to be leak-free (reasonably certain the proxy will be used), I’d create a
ProxyBOX.

Is there any interface showing up at all? Maybe a driver issue, so try changing the adapter of the VM to virtio,e1000,rtl* depending on what is currently in use.
Normal Android does not support each ethernet device out of the box, probably also true for the x86 version?

1 Like

Patrick, thanks anyway but I completely dropped the idea of using Anbox.
I tried using a couple of apps I need and neither worked.

Thanks going to try this now.
The interfaces I do have are:
1: Loopback
2: sit0@NONE
3:ip6tn10@NONE
4:wifi_eth
5:wlan0

I tried setting a static IP to wifi_eth and wlan0 but couldnt get a connection.

Patric can I use this guys DHCP setup ?
forums.whonix .org/t/solved-using-an-alternative-os-android-dhcp/163/6

Would those IP settings work for my standard Whonix configuration ?
(I do not care about possible attack vectors on the DHCP deamon)

Yeah, baby! Finally, I’ve found a solution how to run Android x86 Workstation with Whonix-Gateway WITHOUT DHCP on a Gateway side needed!

So, the steps are the following:

1. Disable Wi-Fi from Android “Settings - Network & Internet” menu
  2. Open Terminal Emulator and type “ip a”. Interface wlan0 should be DOWN
  3. Do the steps described in Anonymize Other Operating Systems and accept them to wlan0 interface (not wlan_eth)
  4. Enable Wi-Fi from Android Settings menu. Now Wi-Fi will be connected but DNS won’t work.
  5. Go “Network & Internet” - “Wi-Fi” and hold VirtWifi network. Tap “Modify Network” and change IP Settings from DHCP to Static and type: IP Address - 10.152.152.12, Gateway - 10.152.152.10, Network prefix length - 18, DNS 1 - 10.152.152.10. And press save. Now restart Wi-Fi and it WILL WORK FINE!

IT WORKS EVEN AFTER REBOOT ANDROID X86 WOW!
So I’ve solved the problem which have not been solved during 7!!! years! Tested on Android x86 Oreo

2 Likes

Any wiki updates required?

Anonymize Other Operating Systems

Could you please update the wiki if needed?

Yeah! It really works but I’ve found one mistake. When you check you ip configuration for example via ipleak.net you can find that in the part of webrtc is your ip adress for connect with gateway 10.152.152.**
How to solve this?

Generic answer: “Disable WebRTC in the browser.”

Specific instructions: I don’t have any.

That’s the reason why there’s a pre-configured Whonix-Workstation. There will be many similar shortcomings. It’s not easily replicated for any “other operating system”. This is mentioned on wiki page Anonymize Other Operating Systems.

So, I’m a newbie.
I have installed whonix and i would like to have a safe android environment in order to
run some chat apps as safe as it’s possible.

so i would like, if there is , to find an analytical guide how to do that.

i haven’t understand …

-i have to install android x86 iso inside whonix gateway?
-or install android x86 iso inside whonix workstation?
-or make a new virtual machine which runs from android x86 iso and in a way make it run through whonix?

i would like android workstation especially for signal and telegram apps so for this i would like your help on how and where to install android x86 iso and then follow the instructions above inside android’s environment Terminal Emulator .

thanks

Do not.

To avoid shooting your own feet. Learning in this order recommended:

1. use Whonix normally
  2. use a “easy” Whonix-Custom-Workstation such as Debian according to Anonymize Other Operating Systems
  3. proceed with Whonix-Android-Workstation