Whonix 9 release date

Release date… Good question. It’s a great effort.

• getting VBox relases
  • getting libvirt releases
  • not breaking physical isolation
  • ensuring Debian testing compatibility (Whonix Forum)
  • allowing Whonix 8.x → Whonix 9.x upgrades (Release Upgrade - Whonix)

Nevertheless it is all going quite well.

Do we want all AppArmor profiles to be perfect? Or do we perfect them after release of Whonix 9? (Getting still some XChat denied messages, haven’t reported yet.)

Whonix 9 milestone on github looks quite good:
https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/milestones/Whonix%209

(Nevermind if the generic gui tool tickets aren’t done by then. I guess those are less important and fine for Whonix 10.)

TODO:

• Have to bump package version numbers and create signed git tags.
  • Have to create a Whonix9 git branch.

When the TODO is done, I could create a new testers-only version. We then fix only (grave) bugs in Whonix9 git branch. New features go into git master. Should there be no (grave) bugs, release can be made.

How does that sound?

[quote=“Patrick, post:1, topic:426”]TODO:

• Have to bump package version numbers and create signed git tags.
  • Have to create a Whonix9 git branch.[/quote]
    Done.
How does that sound?
Great! I am going to try upgrading soon.
(Nevermind if the generic gui tool tickets aren't done by then. I guess those are less important and fine for Whonix 10.)

The window icon (#232) should be fixed. Whonix icon in generic_gui_message · troubadoour/msgcollector@f225fb5 · GitHub.

The “window title shortened” (#231) has been fixed some time ago, I believe. Could you recheck, it’s OK here.

Do we want all AppArmor profiles to be perfect? Or do we perfect them after release of Whonix 9? (Getting still some XChat denied messages, haven't reported yet.)

I think we could package them in Whonix 9. Now, I maintain the profiles and thus, it’s easy to say. The big question would be, do we enforce them during the installation?

When you have time, could you post the XChat denied messages ?

I think we could package them in Whonix 9. Now, I maintain the profiles and thus, it's easy to say. The big question would be, do we enforce them during the installation?

Are the profiles all assembled in a package that can be installed on demand?

Are the profiles all assembled in a package that can be installed on demand?[/quote]
They can be installed one by one:
(List: Whonix · GitHub)

Or all at once:
apparmor-profiles-whonix
(anon-meta-packages/debian/control at master · Whonix/anon-meta-packages · GitHub)

The window icon (#232) should be fixed. https://github.com/troubadoour/msgcollector/commit/f225fb56b124d2e4156d77c31f20fc7a1024c7f8.
Answered here: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,261.msg3483.html#msg3483
The "window title shortened" (#231) has been fixed some time ago, I believe. Could you recheck, it's OK here.
Not fixed.
I think we could package them in Whonix 9. Now, I maintain the profiles and thus, it's easy to say.
They will be installable from Whonix repository.
The big question would be, do we enforce them during the installation?
When an apparmor-profile-xxx package gets (manually) installed, it gets enforced by default. (dh-apparmor does that.)

If we were to install them by default they would be enforced by default. Not sure if we should already do that.

When you have time, could you post the XChat denied messages ?
Done in apparmor thread.