Debian 12 bookworm based. Major release.
Whonix : A High Security Method of Surfing the Internet
Whonix is a desktop operating system designed for advanced security and privacy. Whonix mitigates the threat of common attack vectors while maintaining usability. Online anonymity is realized via fail-safe, automatic, and desktop-wide use of the Tor network. A heavily reconfigured Debian base is run inside multiple virtual machines, providing a substantial layer of protection from malware and IP address leaks. Commonly used applications are pre-installed and safely pre-configured for immediate use. The user is not jeopardized by installing additional applications or personalizing the desktop. Whonix is under active development and is the only operating system designed to be run inside a VM and paired with Tor.
- VirtualBox: Whonix ™ for Windows, macOS, Linux inside VirtualBox
- KVM: Whonix ™ for KVM
- R4.1: Unavailable.
- R4.2: How-to: Install Qubes-Whonix ™
Alternatively, in-place release upgrade is possible upgrade using by performing a release upgrade.
This release would not have been possible without the numerous supporters of Whonix!
- port to Debian 12 (
- update Tor Browser to 12.5.1
- use Tor packages from Debian stable instead of Tor Project repository
- enable zsh by default for new builds (might get reverted depending on ticket Qubes-Whonix: enable zsh by default · Issue #8343 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub)
- replacing initramfs-tools with dracut
- renamed Qubes templates
- (Stop using abbreviations for Whonix templates · Issue #1778 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub)