Whonix 17 has been Released! (Debian 12 bookworm based) - Major Release

Debian 12 bookworm based. Major release.

Whonix : A High Security Method of Surfing the Internet

Whonix is a desktop operating system designed for advanced security and privacy. Whonix mitigates the threat of common attack vectors while maintaining usability. Online anonymity is realized via fail-safe, automatic, and desktop-wide use of the Tor network. A heavily reconfigured Debian base is run inside multiple virtual machines, providing a substantial layer of protection from malware and IP address leaks. Commonly used applications are pre-installed and safely pre-configured for immediate use. The user is not jeopardized by installing additional applications or personalizing the desktop. Whonix is under active development and is the only operating system designed to be run inside a VM and paired with Tor.

Download

Upgrade

Alternatively, in-place release upgrade is possible upgrade using by performing a release upgrade.

This release would not have been possible without the numerous supporters of Whonix!

Please Donate!

Please Contribute!

Major Changes

Changelog

Full difference of all changes

https://github.com/Whonix/derivative-maker/compare/16.0.9.8-developers-only…17.0.3.0-developers-only

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: systemcheck sudo: error while loading shared libraries: libsudo_util.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Command: ~/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-gateway-xfce --target utm --arch arm64 --build

############################################################
ERROR:
          $0: ././build-steps.d/1100_sanity-tests
$BASH_SOURCE: pre
############################################################

The dev build fails almost immediately for 17 version on 17.0.3.0-developers-only branch. Could someone please tell me where I can find an actual/update developer build instructions?

I tried to ignore (I know that this error can’t be ignored) then the script fails on others steps with the same exception - --build is an unknown option.

Thanks in advance.

Using instructions from here: whonix/wiki/Dev/Build_Documentation/VM

UPD: Ok, works without the option :smiley: Could you please change the docs? Since version is already updated in it (still wrong, stable, but still).

Drop --build

Documentation updated just now.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Whonix 17 for VirtualBox signature verification failure