Whonix 14 - Debian Stretch - MariaDB and MySQL - Master Problem

I have Whonix Gateway and Whonix Workstation installed. The first really big problem! Debian Stretch installs a MariaDB. I do not want that because my software is not running MariaDB. In addition, Debian Stretch installs an old version of MariaDB. What can I do to install a MySQL community server? Is there a manual here? (wget and gdeby do not work because of stream isolation. (mysql-apt-config_0.8.10-1_all.deb)

ef86

Better to sort out as per Free Support for Whonix ™ since this equally applies to Debian stretch looks like.

1 Like

Hello Patrick. Right, it’s a Debian Stretch problem. The problem is only when it comes to Debian Stretch (To do Workaround), unfortunately it does not work. If you search the Internet for articles you will find ten articles, all of which have different procedures. None works properly. That’s why I asked here if someone might give a tip on the subject. But ok, I will not ask here anymore. Excuse me, please.

ef86

MariaDB is the community version of Oracle’s handicapped MySQL. If you are not happy with the stable version go ahead and download from backports with apt pinning.

2 Likes

I tried MariaDB. Only she gives one mistake after the other. I can not count them any more, that’s it. And I try to explain it again. The software manufacturer of the software I would like to use says absolutely NO to Maria DB. In addition, a few links that make me MariaDB not exactly sympathetic

I have finally decided to install the MySQL Community Server and change the Debian Stretch MySQL repository. For this I would have needed some tips, because as previously described, there are few good articles.

ef86

I would have tried stretch-backports before giving up on MariaDB. Also using non-Debian repos adds a lot of risk if you are not careful which ones you trust.

2 Likes

Dear HulaHoop.

Even if I somehow get MariaDB to work, I still have the problem that my software vendor does not offer me support. Here I am alone then on my stand. Of course, because of the repos, I will only use official ones. There I see no problem. Debian and MySql publish here official. The problem is the step by step. I also have the problem with the MySQL Community Server that it does not install properly. The problem is known to Debian, but nothing is done. You have to install it practically twice, then it runs.

ef86

Then do what you have to. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you!

ef86