Whonix 12.0.0.3.2 RC – Testers Wanted!

whonix-qubes

this problem seems to be it did no solved well:-

i just got the same issue. further more the GW didnt understand this error, and showed up in the right top corner of the screen “connected to Tor”. whereas in fact there is no internet connection or crashing one.

Note:- happened even before with non-whonix templates. i dont think it is specifically related to whonix.

btw , did u removed the wireshark installation ? it didnt showed up when i have installed whonix in the vbox.

The package (anon-gw-leaktest) that depended on it (tshark) has been removed from whonix recommend package dependencies.

Please use the existing thread.

Yes. Will be fixed in Whonix 13:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T144#7370

Error starting VM: operation failed: device matching mac address 00:16:3e:5e:6c:0d already exist

Note:- happened even before with non-whonix templates. i dont think it is specifically related to whonix.

Answered here: Error starting VM: operation failed: device matching mac address 00:16:3e:5e:6c: - #3 by Patrick

oh ok. im little bit confused tho. should i put the testing phase issues related to whonix here (as mentioned in phabricator , that this is the place of discussion). or in the similar issues topics which they contain the same errors even if they r from whonix 9 or 10 or 11 ? or open new topic saying this is for whonix xx testers repository issue or enhancement material?

@nurmagoz:

oh ok. im little bit confused tho. should i put the testing phase
issues related to whonix here (as mentioned in phabricator , that
this is the place of discussion). or in the similar issues topics
which they contain the same errors even if they r from whonix 9 or
10 or 11 ? or open new topic saying this is for whonix xx testers
repository issue or enhancement material?

That’s difficult indeed. The overall goal is to keep the time for
searching, reading and typing for everyone as low as possible. Less is
often more.

There are various old, known issues. Such as the Error starting VM: operation failed: device matching mac address 00:16:3e:5e:6c:0d already exist (

) one.

If they’re unspecific to Whonix and not of much concern, then there is
no need to repeat them here. There are so many bugs inherited from
Debian, and Qubes, if we’d mirror them all here, we get flood.

If these issues can be already found using the forum search and or a
google search, perhaps even have solutions, then there is no need to
mirror them here.

For example the matching mac address Qubes issue is best sorted out
without even mentioning it at Whonix forums. Again, if we mirror all
Qubes native issues at Whonix forum, that will be a mess.

If there are already existing threads, such as for the Bouncing Tor Browser icon (green earth) won't stop bouncing sometimes? (

), and you’re aware of the thread, or found it, then please contribute
to that thread something like “Happens for me in Whonix 12.0.0.3.2 RC also.”

I was unable to reproduce this. Even with fullscreen. When I press print screen, nothing happens. And once I install ksnapshot, then when pressing printscree, ksnapshot opens.

never used that feature. It’s disabled by default. For similar reasons as https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox_Guest_Additions#Clipboard_Sharing. Once you enable it, and if it works, it’s specific to VirtualBox only. Glad it works in Debian, and Whonix also.

whonix gateway Guest to host shared clipboard enabled by default! , but the WS both r disabled.

Took v 12 for a spin and can confirm all is looking good here. Shared folders work seamlessly now and the power management is disabled according to system modules in KDE settings.

The network manager isn’t complaining like in v 11 can you see it too?

I want to try and push the qxl performance fix before the final release but we’ll see.

I haven’t looked yet but did you update the forum links in the TBB local homepage?

@nurmagoz:

never used that feature. It’s disabled by default. For similar reasons as https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox_Guest_Additions#Clipboard_Sharing. Once you enable it, and if it works, it’s specific to VirtualBox only. Glad it works in Debian, and Whonix also.

whonix gateway Guest to host enabled by default! , the WS both r disabled.

This is expected as per
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox_Guest_Additions#Clipboard_Sharing.

1 Like

HulaHoop:

and the power management is disabled
according to system modules in KDE settings.

Yes. One note on that.

Right. That configuration module is now no longer added to kde
sytemsettings. Two things.

1. disabling power saving is done separately - if that works is a
      different story
    1. disabling the kde systemsettings entry - independent of above. Now,
      if 1 does not work, then things get get awful without 2). The
      alternative would have been a grayed out kde systemsettings power
      savings entry.

HulaHoop:

The network manager isn’t complaining like in v 11 can you see it too?

Yes, this was fixed.

I want to try and push the qxl performance fix before the final release but we’ll see.

Too late now. That would go into Whonix 13. The RC stands for release
candidate. That candidate is going to be released without
rebuild/without changes. I don’t plan to create new builds before Whonix
13 before something is seriously broken.

HulaHoop:

I haven’t looked yet but did you update the forum links in the TBB local homepage?

No. Will do for Whonix 13. (Low priority, because the redirection works.)

The source build works well but it shows the new packge as extraneous so I’ll have to wait until Whonix next.

Can you please post an example build command that targets x64 and stretch sources for both WG and WS.

Then you did build from a tag that did not have that package yet.[quote=“HulaHoop, post:28, topic:1646”]
Can you please post an example build command that targets x64 and stretch sources for both WG and WS.
[/quote]
sudo ./whonix_build --gnw – --build --target qcow2

FYI: If it could not be made to build because of some extraneous package, that would be an awful evironment. Add --allow-untagged true --allow-uncommitted true.

sudo ./whonix_build --gnw -- --build --target qcow2 --allow-untagged true --allow-uncommitted true

Debian jessie is currently being used by default for builds as of Whonix 12 / 13. Debian stretch is too far in the future. Currently totally untested. It does not have a command line switch.

You would need to set

whonix_build_sources_list="build_sources/debian_testing_current.list"

one way or another. Try this.

sudo whonix_build_sources_list="build_sources/debian_testing_current.list" ./whonix_build --gnw -- --build --target qcow2 --allow-untagged true --allow-uncommitted true

Or use a different method as per Whonix ™ Source Code Introduction to set this build variable.

Are there xargs I can use to make the build script use 4 cores instead of one?

To be extra sure, there is no security risk in keeping those extraneous files? The build guide has a very strong warning against them.

HulaHoop:

Are there xargs I can use to make the build script use 4 cores instead of one?

I don’t think anything would limit it to 1 core.

To be extra sure, there is no security risk in keeping those extraneous files?

Depends on which extraneous files. IF, you understand them, there is no
risk.

Temporary package files, binary files can be deleted using

help-steps/cleanup-files

Or using the build scripts --clean parameter.

That function is in place to enforce clean build results. A git tag
12.0.0.3.2 resulting really in what that tag provides. If any extra
files were added accidentally - and this happened more than once to
users - then they would not exactly build that tag, but something modified.

Does this multicore example look useful?