what distribution you can recommend

hi! what distribution you can recommend as a host for whonix? qubes unsuitable. i have old computer.

so? what host are you use ? I need a simple and reliable distribution

Good day,

Debian would be a safe bet. It is quite easy, intuitive, doesn’t need a lot of resources and is the base of Whonix too. Another good one would be Fedora.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

tnx! and what you think about Lubuntu?

Ubuntu, no.
Why not → Computer Security Education - Whonix

tnx Patrick. I want to clarify . IS these recommendations for host? (the main OS on computer\ non virtual)?

Good day,

Yes, what @Patrick said would also be a recommendation for the host.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Note with Debian:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch12.en.html

A system is only as secure as its administrator is capable of making it. Debian’s default installation of services aims to be secure, but may not be as paranoid as some other operating systems which install all services disabled by default. In any case, the system administrator needs to adapt the security of the system to the local security policy.

In other words, if you install some application in Debian it will be up and running (daemons etc) and potentially have open ports to the (hostile) world if you aren’t careful (I’m sure we’ve all been there, done that). :slight_smile: Therefore, always run a thorough check of ports post-installation with net-stat and other tools to make sure you aren’t set up for pwning.

FWIW, Debian also notes regarding Linux distributions:

There are not really many differences between Linux distributions, with exceptions to the base installation and package management system. Most distributions share many of the same applications, with differences mainly in the versions of these applications that are shipped with the distribution’s stable release. For example, the kernel, Bind, Apache, OpenSSH, Xorg, gcc, zlib, etc. are all common across Linux distributions.
…
There is a lot of collaboration between the respective security teams for the major Linux distributions. Known security updates are rarely, if ever, left unfixed by a distribution vendor. Knowledge of a security vulnerability is never kept from another distribution vendor, as fixes are usually coordinated upstream, or by CERT. As a result, necessary security updates are usually released at the same time, and the relative security of the different distributions is very similar.

One of Debian’s main advantages with regards to security is the ease of system updates through the use of apt. Here are some other aspects of security in Debian to consider:

Debian provides more security tools than other distributions, see Security tools in Debian, Chapter 8.

Debian’s standard installation is smaller (less functionality), and thus more secure. Other distributions, in the name of usability, tend to install many services by default, and sometimes they are not properly configured (remember the Lion Ramen).

Debian’s installation is not as limited as OpenBSD (no daemons are active per default), but it’s a good compromise.

Recommendation: Go with Debian, but spend the time to do a lot of hardening of the base OS afterwards as recommended in various guides.

If you are absolutely new to Linux, then Linux Mint is very simple to use, although it is a Ubuntu derivative. If you are an advanced user, you could probably waste months of your precious life on FreeBSD or something else arcane. :wink:

i tryed clear debian. little bit hard for me. i dont have so many time to fix debian. the linux mint i used one time. but it was very laggy (many problems i have whith mint).
what distibution you can recommend more? like xubuntu is easy for me. but guys sad that ubuntu suck

PS i dont use host in fact. my host only for whonix. I work there in workstation

torjunkie?

guys. what do you think about “Manjaro linux”?

Good day,

First of all, Mint is also based on Ubuntu.

Regarding Manjaro, I quiet like it and being based on Arch, it is quiet a good choice as well, however, it isn’t really that simple. If you are struggling with Debian, Manjaro (or any Arch based distribution for that matter) will probably be even more problematic.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

tnx for answer. then what can you advise me ? Debian was originally not friendly, even the Internet does not work by default in it. whether there is a simple option that works well " out of the box " ?

guys?

maybe @centos@ will be good choice? what u can say about it

Debian was originally not friendly, even the Internet does not work by default in it.

Hm what install cd did you download?

Try not to confuse “Desktop Environment” with “Distribution”. If you like Xubuntu and Mint, you can get the same interface and desktop apps on other distributions (like Debian and Fedora) by installing the same desktop environments (XFCE=Xubuntu and Cinnamon=Mint).

The biggest advantage for using Debian & Fedora is that lots of beginners also use these distros and you can find help with everything by searching.

If you have brand new hardware, Fedora offers better compatibility (by including more packages as stated above.)

If you have older hardware, Debian would be a better choice since you won’t have to learn about multiple distros at once, since Whonix is based on Debian.

Download Live CD/USB images and try them out. They should work out-of-the-box.
Debian Live images with different DE’s: Index of /debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid
Fedora Desktops are here: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

1 Like

Good day,

CentOS is simply a distribution based on Fedora whose main focus is business and server enviroments. If you remember, Fedora was one of my initial recommendation.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Tnx for answers guys!

OpenSUSE, KaOS and of course a bare metal Host like SmartOS.