Wallpapers

I’m not a fan of the current default wallpapers in Whonix. The combination of warnings and that mountain takes me back to Win98 (don’t ask me why) and while Workstation looks a bit more modern there is still room for improvement.

Seeing how just recently Whonix logo took under a visual transformation (and looks great now) can something similar be done to wallpapers too?

Perhaps by asking the more artistic members of the Whonix/Tor community for their material or finding something online that has an appropriate licence (Creative Commons 3.0?).

Seeing how just recently Whonix logo took under a visual transformation (and looks great now) can something similar be done to wallpapers too?
Probably, yes.

I only choose the mountain in a rush for Whonix 7 release. No need to keep it. I doubt anyone will raise its voice for it.

As long as the license is FSF approved (Various Licenses and Comments about Them - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation), better GPL-compatible, I don’t argue much what background images we use. As I didn’t when we discussed the new logo.

The issue with me and with arts is my ignorance about that topic. There is way to proof one thing is objectivity right or better than something else. Arguing about it seems almost as futile to me as arguing about music or taste. In comparison talking about software, code talks. And it’s simple to reproduce a bug and to propose a fix.

Perhaps by asking the more artistic members of the Whonix/Tor community for their material or finding something online that has an appropriate licence
Please feel free to suggest ones. Then propose on whonix-devel and/or github ticket.

Required image file format and resolution?

Resolution at least as much as the old ones. Format doesn’t matter as long as it works. Test with the usual test version to manually change the image, if it works, the format will be supported.

The /usr/share/whonix/mountainmist-orig.jpeg picture on Whonix-Gateway gets automatically the text added. The path is currently hardcoded. Please have a look at the /usr/bin/backgroundd script. I find the text quite important. You know, anything can go wrong, will go wrong. And people using Whonix-Gateway as a workstation is the most likely and most terrible thing to go wrong.