VPN configuration

I am trying to setup VPN before Tor as explained in:

I have no login details to riseup, and if I understand correctly from the documentation, something there doesn’t work anymore?

Update: The Riseup “legacy” VPN may have been discontinued, as it no longer works for the author of these instructions. The Riseup replacement service (Bitmask) has not been tested.

For testing purposes, I tried to use one of the openvpn package from vpnbook.com (that I used successfully in the past when connecting from Kali).

Their .opvn files contain configuration lines, two certificates and an RSA key. The documentation above only mentions a single certificate, in a .pem file.

The question is then how to perform the configuration with such .opvn files?

Every VPN has its own authentication requirements.

Ask general openvpn questions here:
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewforum.php?f=1

Or contact vpn provider directly for support.

Try setting up a VPN client in a non-Whonix machine first. Then you can see what’s different in the Whonix instructions.

1 Like

entr0py:

Try setting up a VPN client in a non-Whonix machine first. Then you can see what’s different in the Whonix instructions.

I was going to say that. In principle a great idea.

However, users tend to test over clearnet first and then over Tor. Fail.
But how to explain this?

Hi pano

Before I start I just want to say I’m not recommending you use this VPN provider nor would I recommend any provider for that matter.

Cryptostorm offers a free VPN service called Cryptofree. Which give you a choice of tcp or udp. You can use this for testing purposes and if you have any problems with config, I will help you with it. :wink:

1 Like

This is more of a openvpn configuration problem than anything else.