vlc does not work and does not play anything

hello, this is the first time I use whonix and I have a problem.
The problem is that the VLC player does not work, nothing plays back MP4 and other formats.

What I can do?

thanks

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Non-Qubes-Whonix_Known_bugs#VLC_.2F_Video_Player_Crash - Does this help?

Thank you.

If I tried it and nothing, it stays frozen in the first second of video.

There is another way to use video player?

thanks

Generally, the first step in troubleshooting is obtaining helpful debugging information / error messages.

To do that, either find program-specific logs, or try running the program in a terminal.

Open Konsole, type vlc yourfile.mp4
Read / post what it says.

1 Like

Thank you. By commands I have the same problem.

I’ve been trying things and I realized one thing.

The videos can not see are extracted from zip / rar, which fall directly if you let me see it. ( the downloaded MP4 directly if they work)

it may be for the unrar? I do not know what else to do

Thanks again.

If there is no helpful information in the terminal and you can’t fix it yourself, then the next step is to get help.

We are not VLC experts here so if it’s not a Whonix-specific issue, it would more useful for you to post in a VLC support forum.

To figure out if it’s a Whonix-specific issue (and if you trust the media file), try to play it on a non-Whonix VM, such as plain Debian.

Unless you post more specific information, it’s hard to give you any more specific advice. (You can get more information by typing vlc --verbose=2 yourfile.mp4)

I don’t understand this statement. Can you try saying it differently?

1 Like

no longer I understand anything. Some videos work and others do not, wtf

How to install another video player?

Right. And I like to add: ideally in a non-networked VM.

Same as for any Debian based Linux distribution as per Self Support First Policy for Whonix.