Very newb- virtualbox on win10 on vpn or off ? getting torbrowser on workstati

very newb- virtualbox on win10 on vpn or off ? getting torbrowser on workstation.

finally got the VB and the gateway and workstation on VB updated apt-get upgraded , however the workstation takes forever 1 hour, then fails to get the torbrowser downloaded via the gui menus , this has failed the last two days, if this is the norm, i’m thinking this is going to be useless , the computer is reasonably modern

i keep my vpn on at all times on win10, and i’ve changed my system time to the vpn location where i always connect to , it is a decent vpn, so i don’t think vpn speed should be the issue.

maybe whonix is not for me, i’m not a networking genius , but i used debian back in the day , etc …

Good day,

which of the many options for the TBB did you try to download? The hardened version currently has a few issues. Maybe try another one.

Have a nice day,

Ego

there were 3 options, i chose the 1st one , NOT the hardened one

Possibilities:

Try this:

Does TBB work for you on the host as per Computer Security Education - Whonix ?

Side note:

ok will see what i can do, thanks.
btw, if one connects to a vpn in california at all times, would it be advisable to set the host clock to california time?

and the bios to california time too. right now, i don’t have the bios set to california time, just the host , this is the win10 host that is hosting the virtualbox with whonix, but also a desktop that is NOT using the VB/Whonix …thanks in advance

btw, if one connects to a vpn in california at all times, would it be advisable to set the host clock to california time?
On the host? No. I don't see what that would buy you, but I haven't though that through. We're using Tor for anonymization and that doesn't require changing the time on the host to some other time zone. This might very well be even counter productive. See also: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Time_Attacks

It’s most advisable to keep a standard Whonix setup.

this is the win10 host that is hosting the virtualbox with whonix, but also a desktop that is NOT using the VB/Whonix
Btw, it is advisable to get away from Windows. Has far great impact than VPN, tunnels, whatever. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Pre_Install_Advice#Windows_Hosts

And while you’re at it, also getting away from VirtualBox.

[quote=“Patrick, post:4, topic:1594”]Possibilities:

• very slow host internet connection
    …na, on the same router, my desktop with tor browser is just fine speed wise

• ISP throttling usage of Tor as a way to censor, in that case, use Configure (Private) (Obfuscated) Tor Bridges
    …well might it throttle on VB with whonix , when the speed is fine with win10 and tor browser? if not, then i guess this isn’t worth trying, i am not a networking pro, hence, i am not ready to dual boot debian again , and put all the time into learning something i can’t really learn, i can only kludge, so please don’t recommend ‘get rid of windows’ , been there done that 15 years ago

• you picked a very slow Tor entry guard, however, that is unlikely, because slow relays do not get the Tor entry guard flag from Tor. If that was the case, it’s difficult to recommend something. I think using Configure (Private) (Obfuscated) Tor Bridges then might make sense.

…too bad thing is broken pretty much out of the box

Try this:

Does TBB work for you on the host as per Computer Security Education - Whonix ?

Side note:

i noticed the whonix gateway is saying
something wicked happened resolving ftp.us.debian.org:http (-4 non recoverable failure in name resolution)

however , the apt-get update apt-get upgrade continues to keep trying

just dog dog slow …

i closed the workstation, and ran the gateway, with the host NOT on vpn, it failed, so i ran the bash --verbose terminal version

INFO: succeeded on 13/14 , the last one failed
tor socksport reachability test: reachable http page not retreived, url not found or returned another error etc

maybe its time i give up if your a one man show

somehow the gateway was on internal network, not NAT, on NAT it seems healthy now, but the workstation persists having issues, seems to not be connected to network, what is the proper network setting for the workstation please? NAT , internal network/allow VMs ?allow ALL ?

“tor control port could not be reached”

no route to host

You are discouraged from changing network settings in VirtualBox. Those work out of the box.

You can try using TBB inside VirtualBox - to rule out the error is caused by Whonix.

For Multiple Whonix-Workstation ™ they need to use different IPs, otherwise they are blocking each other.

how would i try TBB in VB? the gateway works /connects to internet, but workstation does not, i don’t see TBB in the gateway apps.

i am not running multiple workstations, i am running the gateway and 1 workstation, the workstation is set to NAT , cable connectred is unchecked, the host is running over wifi , no ethernet

any others ideas to get the workstation / TBB working ?

how would i try TBB in VB?
Manually install Debian jessie in a VM. (Not Whonix.) Then install TBB there and see if that works.
any others ideas to get the workstation / TBB working ?
Try bridges.

reimported the workstation, whonix check was ok, however tor browser updater takes forever then says "hash could not be verified tb_sha_exit_code: 1

does that help with what to do ?

ok i’m using iceweasel on the workstation to d/l TBB , the gateway is set to use ‘internal network’ to ‘attach’ and promisusus mode ‘deny’ cable connected is checked in its check box

does that sound ok for the network config

[quote=“C0ufViKJM4vBM7ge, post:14, topic:1594”]reimported the workstation, whonix check was ok, however tor browser updater takes forever then says "hash could not be verified tb_sha_exit_code: 1

does that help with what to do ?[/quote]

[quote=“C0ufViKJM4vBM7ge, post:15, topic:1594”]ok i’m using iceweasel on the workstation to d/l TBB , the gateway is set to use ‘internal network’ to ‘attach’ and promisusus mode ‘deny’ cable connected is checked in its check box

does that sound ok for the network config[/quote]
Delete VMs, re-import VMs, do not change network settings. That’s it.