Updates not showing in VirtualBox

1. launch VirtualBox, and then Whonix Gateway and Workstation.
  2. run WhonixCheck on Gateway and Workstation.
  3. run terminal, upgrade-nonroot, [if that is what it needs] on both. They both complete.
  4. I’ll close Workstation and Gateway after I am done.
    In VirtualBox, in the description area, I’ll notice it still shows both the Workstation and Gateway as build: 15.0.1.3.4 …
    even though I always update Whonix in the Gateway and Workstation, and I also updated them today and I assume it is the latest newest 16.0.2.7 version.

Is there anyway these updates can change the build numbers shown in the VirtualBox description area? Or should I just disregard this build information found in the VB description area?

Or, do I have to start from scratch and create a new Workstation and Gateway every time a new “Whonix for VirtualBox with XFCE.ova” is released?

I’d feel safer secure if the build descriptions shown the actual builds after they get updated each time.
Thanks

This is expected. See:

Version Numbers

Upgrade vs Image Re-Installation

systemcheck --verbose --function show_versions
[INFO] [systemcheck] Whonix build version: 15.0.1.3.4

but the latest build from Whonix is 16.0.2.7; and I do a check it says No Updates Found.

When it does find new builds, Whonix installs them, yet the build version is stuck at 15.0.1.3.4

Am I not grasping something here? Shouldn’t the Whonix build version change to whatever version is the latest updated after updating? Are the new updates downloading and installing correctly, if not, what is the point in updating.
Thanks.

Already replied.

The text above for Version Numbers should represented in blue color in most browsers which indicates that it’s a clickable link. In this case to the Whonix documentation. Same for Upgrade vs Image Re-Installation. Does reviewing these links to these wiki chapter answer your question?

Thank you. The thing that bugs me is seeing the Whonix build version: 15.0.1.3.4 in terminal … but the latest build from Whonix is 16.0.2.7. and I’ve been updating [WhonixCheck SystemCheck] every time I launch Whonix.

build version of the image is equivalent with the day of birth of a living being. The latter is unchangeable. The former too. You could hack the output being shown but it would be besides the point.

Build version is only shown when using systemcheck with --verbose.

I think you’ve confused everyday “standard” updates with upgrades.

Running the standard update procedures will never increase a Whonix release version from say 14 → 15 or 15 → 16. To do that you need to follow upgrade procedures.

See here for instructions:

&

In doing a “Standard Upgrade” [WhonixCheck], will this upgrade be just as current and secure as doing the “Release Upgrade” [deleting the old and installing a new OVA]?

Will a system running the current “Standard Upgrade” be running the same software as the newest “Release Upgrade”?

My thoughts are if the “Standard Upgrade” isn’t as complete and secure as the “Release Upgrade”, then why bother with “Standard Upgrade” at all.

Is the software environment of the “Standard Upgrade” and “Release Upgrade” versions identical? Thanks. I want to run the latest, safest and best.

No, not when a release upgrade is available.

What is better? Upgrade or Image Re-Installation? See Upgrade vs Image Re-Installation.

Release upgrade is only available when there is a major release such as when Whonix is ported from Debian major version 10 to 11 as it was done in the Whonix 15 → 16 major upgrade.

Release upgrade is also more complicated and has a higher risk of making the installation unbootable or otherwise breaking the package manager.

Image re-installation + standard (“everyday”) upgrading is the “closest approximation of perfection” that is available. Though, has lower usability for users who wish to persist their existing user data without migrating from one to another installation.

This also applies to using the latest point release (that is what it is called after a major release) image re-installation + standard (“everyday”) upgrading.

Keeping an earlier major release (Whonix 15) + release upgrade is - at time of writing - “a form of legacy”. (reasons)

To a lesser degree even sticking with an earlier release of the current major release version (16 at time of writing) + standard (“everyday”) upgrading is “a form of legacy”.

I.e. once a Whonix 16 point release is available, “to approximate perfection”, get the point release + standard (“everyday”) upgrading.