Update To Whonix

WARNING: Whonix News Result:

✘ Outdated: Installed whonix-workstation-packages-dependencies 1.9-1 is outdated!
You should update.
You can automatically update using Whonix’s internal updater. Please update using:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

But this never seems to work for me… o packs found and installed everytime… what do I need to do?

Read the news below that message.

Stay tuned:

Special instructions for 10 → 11 upgrades required:

1. Backup your data. (Ideally have a copy of your VM, so you can try again.)
    ??

Im not even seeing any files to download to update… and back it up how?

WHonix has always confused me a bit…sorry

Backup = copy data you care about. Bookmarks, text files, etc. If you don’t have any, never mind. In that case, don’t update, just get a new version. Easier.

What about applications downloaded via apt-get update? Do I need to back that one up as well?

No.

Im confused as to what I should actually be backing up… i have truecrypt volumes and everything inside whonix…PDF files…programs…etc…gigs and gigs…

Imagine, you deleted everything and started fresh. Or imagine you started new on a new computer. What files would you miss? Stuff that you cannot easily download again? That’s not most programs you can download and install using apt-get. -> That’s somewhat an explanation of what user data is. That’s what you’re supposed to backup.

Security wise, is it vital that I do this upgrade? Or is it safe to continue using the whonix I have installed now?

Old versions are unsupported.

So, you mean to tell me that unless I upgrade, that my Whonix is completely vulnerable? If its unsupported then why am I still receiving the updates via Whonix check?

I have gigs and gigs of data that I need to back up and i have tons of programs installed…youre telling me im going to have to reinstall and download everything?

I dont even know how to back up all the data I have…how can I attach an external HD to whonix to save everything.

Seems like an easier alternative to an update could have been designed.

So, you mean to tell me that unless I upgrade, that my Whonix is completely vulnerable?
The easy answer is "yes". No one looks into these versions anymore. Debian oldstable (currently: wheezy) which old versions of Whonix are based on have very little funding/manpower. (source: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Funding https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html)
If its unsupported then why am I still receiving the updates via Whonix check?
Because updates via apt-get are never purposely broken.
I have gigs and gigs of data that I need to back up and i have tons of programs installed...youre telling me im going to have to reinstall and download everything?
Yes.
I dont even know how to back up all the data I have..
If you care about not losing all data, you should have backups anyway. Data not at least backed up twice can be considered deleted.
how can I attach an external HD to whonix to save everything.
Depends on virtuallizer. VirtualBox? ... VirtualBox: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/File_Transfer#Adding_USB_device_to_VirtualBox

Shared folder is easier:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox_Guest_Additions

Seems like an easier alternative to an update could have been designed.
I don't know what you mean by that.

Stay tuned:

Special instructions for 10 → 11 upgrades required:

Ok Patrick,

Im trying to do this the shared folder route.

Power off>workstation settings>shared folders>(create a folder named shared?) (what path? I choose a truecrypt volume)>select auto>(dont see an option to “make permanent”)

once I figure this out it, i just start workstation back up and mount the folder with a command…move what I need to transfer over to the updated whonix? The folder will be saved into whatever path I choose and once I boot up the new whonix i Mount the same way and move my stuff into whonix?

create a folder named shared?
For example.
what path?
Up to you.
I choose a truecrypt volume
Eventual source for issues.
dont see an option to "make permanent"
Nevermind.
once I figure this out it, i just start workstation back up and mount the folder with a command..move what I need to transfer over to the updated whonix? The folder will be saved into whatever path I choose and once I boot up the new whonix i Mount the same way and move my stuff into whonix?
Basically, 1. get data out of old vm 2. get data into new vm.

So when I use the command inside whonix to mount. I get this:

mount: unknown filesystem type ‘vboxsf’

Patrick can you help me with this…I hate feeling vulnerable.

Thanks

Can some PLEASE help me with this error. I shouldnt still be using this old Whonix I want to get out of it! :frowning:

What’s the old version?

Make sure you have guest additions installed.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

See also:

Ok, so im no longer getting the error when i enter the command to mount…but it just returns to a new command line without saying anything??? What am i doing wrong here… I just wanna get my stuff backed up to a shared folder and into the new whonix once I install it.

Ive read & read & read and still can not find a solution…This shouldnt be taking me weeks like this.