Update Firefox ESR in Whonix-ws APP VM?

Hey guys,

I want to update the Firefox ESR in my Whonix-ws APP Template.
My current Ver. is 52.0 but i need to get a newer Version to use NoScript as an addon.

Another Question in addition: Firefox ESR uses TOR (sys-whonix) too right, because i set ist as network vm.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi StuPid123

Only Tor Browser is recommended for use in Whonix when browsing the Internet. I’m not sure why you would be using stock FireFox in your Whonix-ws (anon-whonix) AppVM. You could have unwanted results.

Please read:

1 Like

Install firefox-esr in Whonix 14 results in Firefox taking over as the default browser. So which clicking links from other apps, they will open in firefox, and not torbrowser.

At least, that was my experience.

I installed firefox-esr because I needed to reach a clearnet site from a non-tor node. So I started the bitmask VPN client, and then used firefox to get to the site. This was done to avoid adjusting any of the torbrowser settings.

@StuPiD123 I believe there is an AppImage of Firefox. I am not sure what version they are on, but it might be of interest to you, if you know what you are doing and definitely don’t want torbrowser for some reason. But you should probably be using TorBrowser, and not firefox if you’re unsure.

I configured the Firefox ESR to use it in addition to a VPN, because i have to reach a clearnet site. For this site i can´t use TOR Browser, because it is not possible to create a account with it.

Hi StuPiD123

You can still use Tor Browser with your VPN. User->Tor->VPN->Internet. If the website blocks traffic from Tor Exit Relays that configuration should work. Your traffic will show up as coming from the VPN servers IP address. For this you can use:

VPN inside Whonix-Workstation

or

Separate VPN Gateway

In Whonix 14, I was not able to connect to any sites while running BitMask inside the Whonix Workstation.

Fire fox WILL connext through Bitmask, from within Whonix WS.

Hi BubonicChronicWhonix

In Whonix 14

And in Whonix 13 which StuPiD123 is using?

Bubonic Chronic:> In Whonix 14, I was not able to connect to any sites
while running BitMask inside the Whonix Workstation.
That could be because Whonix-Workstation in Whonix 14 comes with its own
firewall. Bitmask also comes with a firewall. They may be conflicting.

Patches welcome. I won’t be working on this.

Really Firefox or Tor Browser?

firefox-esr made connections to clearnet sites

no pages would load in torbrowser

Not extensively tested though.

Is this something that needs to be tested @0brand or @StuPiD123?

I havne’t built BitMask for Whonix 13, and have no reason to do so. But I can test it if it benefits someone.

Hi BubonicChronicWhonix

In post #5 I was replying to the OP and wanted to make sure there was no false assumption that Tor Browser couldn’t be used with a VPN to reach clearnet sites. Not only that its possible to use a VPN with Tor Browser to create e-mail accounts e.g. Proton Mail. I was asking if you had tested Bitmask to give the OP options that have been tested and known to work with TBB.

The reason behind all of this is past forum posts where users falsely believe they can take Firefox, add a few browser extensions, change settings in about:config and they have themselves a Tor Browser (not true). I wanted to be sure OP knew Tor Browser with VPN safer to user than Firefox with VPN.