unzipping rar files

I loaded virtual box, (on linux mint), with a whonix gateway and workstation, (not sure what linux version that is), and when I try unzipping a rar file it always comes up blank. The rar files have PW’s on them, and I’m not sure if that is making a difrence or not. It will open zip files with PW’s so I’m not sure why it is now showing rar’s as blank.

I’ve tried various commands such as:
sudo apt-get install unrar-free
(which got me from (archive manager can’t open rar’s to now rar’s are empty)

I also tried installing p7zip full, along with:
sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar
I thought that would give the gui version of it, which I’d prefer. Is it possible to get a gui version of p7zip?

I assume something went wrong on the install of unrar, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to remove it and re-install it. I haven’t removed software yet so I’m a little nervous about blowing away the wrong thing without realizing it.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Ted

I know you’re trying to extract a RAR file but I’m not sure what it is you are trying to accomplish or if its Whonix related.

I loaded virtual box, (on linux mint), with a whonix gateway and workstation, (not sure what linux version that is), and when I try unzipping a rar file it always comes up blank

• Did you successfully install Whonix-Gateway and Workstation? Is Whonix functioning properly?
  • Are you trying to extract the RAR files in Whonix-Gateway, Workstation or your Linux Mint host?
  • Where did you try installing unrar-free, p7zip full, p7zip-rar?

Please see:

I assume something went wrong on the install of unrar, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to remove it and re-install it

Please read what packages are safe to remove. If done improperly your system may become unusable.

Its a good idea to take a Vm Snapshot before you make any changes to your system. ( Like removing packages )

https://whonix.org/wiki/Security_Guide#VM_Snapshots

Thanks for the links to the information. Sorry I didn’t include more details in my post. In response to your questions:

1. The installs of whonix gateway and workstation appeared to be successful. I can browse tor via the workstation successfully. I’m not sure how to verify that it’s actually going out over tor, but the link on the workstation’s desktop to install tor worked, and I can visit onion sites so I assume that was a success.

2. I’m trying to do everything in the workstation. I’m doing nothing on the gateway other than starting it. The host is linux mint. I haven’t done much on the host after learning about whonix.

3. On the workstation.

Thanks again.

Hi Ted

I’m not sure how to verify that it’s actually going out over tor, but the link on the workstation’s desktop to install tor worked, and I can visit onion sites so I assume that was a success.

On the Whonix landing page (i.e the page you first see when Tor Browser is up and running) you will see a row of links:

• IP CHECK
  • DOCS
  • SUPPORT
  • FORUM
  • BLOG
  • CONTRIBUTE
  • DONATE
  • DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

If you click on “IP Check” it will check if your browser is configured to use Tor. If you are able to connect to .onion sites then you are using Tor network (i.e. traffic going out over Tor)

I’m trying to do everything in the workstation.

Most times software is installed on Whonix-Workstation. However there are some exceptions.

I’m doing nothing on the gateway other than starting it. The host is linux mint. I haven’t done much on the host after learning about whonix.

Have you checked out…

1 Like