Typo in "Whonix for KVM" manual ? Boot error: file ‘/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod’ not found.

In the section “Moving Whonix ™ Image Files” the files being moved are “Whonix-Gateway*.qcow2” and “Whonix-Workstation*.qcow2”. They are moved to /var/lib/libvirt/images/ and receive the names “Whonix-Gateway.qcow2” and “Whonix-Workstation.qcow2”. Should these not be XML files ?

In the next section, “Copying Whonix ™ Image Files”, .qcow2 files are also copied to the same folder and receive the same name.

I instead did the procedure by moving the corresponding XML files to the “/images/” folder (for the first section), but I am getting an error when starting my VM.

I get the error message “error: file ‘/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod’ not found.” when booting, right after “Welcome to GRUB!”

I am on Debian 11.

What did I do wrong?
Thank you all in advance.

No.

That’s why you get an error.

Just follow the documentation.

I recommend that it should be made clearer in the Whonix for KVM manual that one should either do the procedure in section “Moving Whonix ™ Image Files” OR the procedure in section “Copying Whonix ™ Image Files”. I had understood that both should be done.

2 Likes

Added a tab controller for that just now. Should now be much clearer.

1 Like

It is working fine, now.

:+1:t3: