TransPort test showing IP

Let me start by saying that i’m new to both qubes and whonix, but really like the concept. So if this question is self explanatory, please forgive me :slight_smile:

I finally got whonix set up using the guide from Qubes-Whonix ™ Overview but whonixcheck in the workstation gives and error on the TransPort test: Looks like you are not connected through tor. I do see in the known bugs section that transPort does not work with the qubes-whonix setup, but it also displays my real IP address.
This got me a little worried. Is the workstation supposed to see this IP at all, or should I just ignore it?
btw check.torproject.org and DNS leaks tests show that I am connected through Tor.

Welcome peter! :smiley:

That sounds pretty strange for the real IP showing in Whonix-Workstation.

I don’t have the old Dual-HVM version of Qubes + Whonix installed right now, so I will try it out soon.

But, I don’t remember ever encountering my real IP with the known TransPort error.

The Whonix-Workstation should NOT be able to see your real IP address.

And it is strange that it is also able to access Tor and check out ok at check.torproject.org.

Sounds like some kind of networking misconfiguration.

Generally, I guess troubleshooting would involve retracing the guide’s steps and checking your network configurations.

Especially:

1. Attach eth1 Network Adapter to Whonix-Gateway
    1. Modify IP of eth0 Network Adapter on Whonix-Workstation
    1. Deny Unnecessary Network Access
    1. Open FirewallVM Between Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation
    1. Configure eth0 Network Adapter on Whonix-Gateway

And ensure you are starting the VMs each time in the terminal with the custom “qvm-start” comannd explained here…

Are you using the binary install guide or source code install guide? I assume the binary one?

“Install in Qubes HVM with Whonix Binary Images”

[hr]

FYI:

I’m soon going to be deprecating that old semi-dysfunctional Dual-HVM platform and replacing that page with the new native ProxyVM + AppVM platform, which a number of people are already using and works a lot better and smoother.

The beta install guide is available here if interested: Whonix Forum

No surprise for me. Tor Browser is configured to use a Tor SocksPort by default.

[quote=“Patrick, post:3, topic:877”][quote author=WhonixQubes link=topic=966.msg7042#msg7042 date=1424449569]
And it is strange that it is also able to access Tor and check out ok at check.torproject.org.
[/quote]
No surprise for me. Tor Browser is configured to use a Tor SocksPort by default.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry, I could have phrased that more clearly.

I meant that if his TransPort is accessing local clearnet IP – AND – his SocksPort is simultaneously going through the Whonix-Gateway Tor connection properly, then this combination together sounds strange.

Thank you WhonixQubes!

After your recommendation on using the beta guide to install and decided to try it.
That fixed the previous problems. I’m still not sure what misconfiguration caused the problem, but as long as the beta guide works, I’m satisfied :slight_smile:

Let me just end by saying thanks to you, WhonixQubes, and the people involved that make something like this possible. Using your spare time on a project like this really makes me believe in the open source community and the possibility of people claiming their privacy back. Again, thank you :slight_smile:

[quote=“peter, post:5, topic:877”]Thank you WhonixQubes!

After your recommendation on using the beta guide to install and decided to try it.
That fixed the previous problems. I’m still not sure what misconfiguration caused the problem, but as long as the beta guide works, I’m satisfied :slight_smile:

Let me just end by saying thanks to you, WhonixQubes, and the people involved that make something like this possible. Using your spare time on a project like this really makes me believe in the open source community and the possibility of people claiming their privacy back. Again, thank you :)[/quote]

My pleasure! :smiley:

And we have @nrgaway to thank big time for coming aboard and developing the newest native version of the Qubes + Whonix platform.

Last year, I saw the power of Qubes + Whonix together and decided to dive in and get the project going.

Now, others, especially @nrgaway, have been helping out and this newly combined platform is getting better and better over time.

There are still some fundamental anonymity weaknesses that exist once VMs get hacked or infected, which are similar with most all the other alternative platforms. So not much improvement elsewhere either.

However, the host-level security strength of Qubes beneath your VMs is unmatched by other platforms, and I am working on shoring up as many of the local VM anonymity issues as I can this year, so that we get closer towards the ideal security/privacy/anonymity platform with Qubes + Whonix.

But anonymity over the network on Qubes + Whonix is believed to be as strong as Tor is. Of course, one never has to take my word for anything.

So stay tuned to the Wiki - Forum - Blog as there will be more improvements coming to Qubes + Whonix! :smiley: