Tor's Controll Port could not be reached?

Hello, I am getting a weird error in my whonix workstation. The gateway is working fine, but I cant seem to bridge the connection between the gateway and workstation. Any advice on how to fix this below error? Thank you and have a great day!

(Technical information:)
(Code: 124)
(tor_bootstrap_timeout_type: sigterm)
(tor_bootstrap_status: Variable check_bootstrap_helper_script_output is empty)
(check_socks_port_open_test: 28)
(Tor Circut: not established)

Verified the download? (Download Whonix ™ (FREE))

Did it work ever before?

Does that error persist when re-running whonixcheck?

What Whonix version?

What Virtualizer? VirtualBox?

Did you change any settings in VirtualBox/…?

Oh. Just noticed. This is the Qubes sub forum. Just to make sure… Are you using Whonix on Qubes?

Yes, I am using whonix on qubes. I didn’t verify the download because I was being lazy, but the gateway is working perfectly. It has never worked. Only the gateway is working. Would you be willing to teamview to help me fix the issue?

Also I have double and triple checked all settings and all the steps on the guide for setup. My guess is I messed up with something small but cant find the error.

Just making sure you’re using the Qubes + Whonix binary image install guide here;

[hr]

[quote=“Rambo, post:1, topic:684”](Technical information:)
(Code: 124)
(tor_bootstrap_timeout_type: sigterm)
(tor_bootstrap_status: Variable check_bootstrap_helper_script_output is empty)
(check_socks_port_open_test: 28)
(Tor Circut: not established)[/quote]

Where exactly or what application is this error message coming from?

[hr]

Can you download and browse the web at all with Tor Browser in the Whonix-Workstation?

[hr]

Does whonixcheck report that you are connected to Tor in the Whonix-Gateway?

Does whonixcheck report that you are connected to Tor in the Whonix-Workstation?

[hr]

Some potential troubleshooting:

1. There is the No TransPort Internet Access [BUG], so checking that this is not the issue… Qubes-Whonix ™ Overview

2. Make sure the time is correct in UTC, as this can cause Tor to not connect. Make sure UTC is set in custom.conf.

3. Make sure you are starting the VMs from the Dom0 command line using the qvm-start command: Qubes-Whonix ™ Overview

4. Make sure firewall settings are correct and traffic is opened between Gateway & Workstation. Needs restart to take effect. Qubes-Whonix ™ Overview

5. Make sure the 2nd ethernet adapter is added to the custom.conf of the Gateway. Make sure the MAC, IP, and Backend (firewall) strings are typed properly in the custom.conf of the ethernet adapters for Gateway and Workstation.

Will make sure to check it out! Thanks!

Where exactly or what application is this error message coming from?
whonixcheck | Whonix-Workstation | 0.4-1

Can you download and browse the web at all with Tor Browser in the Whonix-Workstation?
No only works in th Whonix-Gateway

Does whonixcheck report that you are connected to Tor in the Whonix-Gateway?
Yes it does

Does whonixcheck report that you are connected to Tor in the Whonix-Workstation?
No it dows not

Some potential troubleshooting:

1. There is the No TransPort Internet Access [BUG], so checking that this is not the issue… Qubes-Whonix Overview
    Not this

2. Make sure the time is correct in UTC, as this can cause Tor to not connect. Make sure UTC is set in custom.conf.
    Where do I find this? Is this through dom0m or through whonix gateway/workstation

3. Make sure you are starting the VMs from the Dom0 command line using the qvm-start command: Qubes-Whonix Overview
    Yes, I am doing this. If you boot from the vm manager the config files mess up

4. Make sure firewall settings are correct and traffic is opened between Gateway & Workstation. Needs restart to take effect. Qubes-Whonix Overview
    I have double and triple checked

5. Make sure the 2nd ethernet adapter is added to the custom.conf of the Gateway. Make sure the MAC, IP, and Backend (firewall) strings are typed properly in the custom.conf of the ethernet adapters for Gateway and Workstation.
    I don’t know what you mean. But the strings arte typed properly.

Can you possibly TV to help me resolve the issue?

[quote=“Rambo, post:7, topic:684”]2) Make sure the time is correct in UTC, as this can cause Tor to not connect. Make sure UTC is set in custom.conf.
Where do I find this? Is this through dom0m or through whonix gateway/workstation[/quote]

The user copied custom.conf file is an essential part of the current Qubes + Whonix HVM setup. It is in Dom0, in the appvm config directory for that specific vm of yours.

Step #12: Qubes-Whonix Overview

[quote=“Rambo, post:7, topic:684”]5) Make sure the 2nd ethernet adapter is added to the custom.conf of the Gateway. Make sure the MAC, IP, and Backend (firewall) strings are typed properly in the custom.conf of the ethernet adapters for Gateway and Workstation.
I don’t know what you mean. But the strings arte typed properly.[/quote]

Step #10 and #11: Qubes-Whonix Overview

I personally don’t do any remote access stuff for security reasons.

Ok, understandable. I will check the steps later and get back to you tonight or tomorrow

I deleted everything, and re installed everything. I get the same error for some reason.

Hmm… I and others are not having this problem, so it is likely still a user error on your end.

More troubleshooting:

What is the IP of your FirewallVM in Qubes Manager?

What is the IP of your Whonix-Gateway in Qubes Manager?

What are the 2 IPs of your Whonix-Gateway in custom.conf (ip=)?

What are the 2 MACs of your Whonix-Gateway in custom.conf (mac=)?

What are the 2 network backends of your Whonix-Gateway in custom.conf (backend=)?

What is the localtime value of your Whonix-Gateway in custom.conf (localtime =)?

What is the IP of your Whonix-Workstation in Qubes Manager?

What is the IP of your Whonix-Workstation in custom.conf (ip=)?

What is the MAC of your Whonix-Workstation in custom.conf (mac=)?

What is the network backend of your Whonix-Workstation in custom.conf (backend=)?

What is the localtime value of your Whonix-Workstation in custom.conf (localtime =)?