[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [Priority Support]

Tor's Control Port could not be reached! 14.0.0.9.9

tor

I have just setup the Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation…

The Whonix-Gateway whonixcheck is reporting all green, however, The Whonix-Workstation whonixcheck complains that Tor’s Control Port could not be reached!

Troubleshooting Items
-> Confirm Whonix-Gateway is running: CHECK
-> Run whonixcheck on Whonix-Gateway and confirm success: CHECK (SUCCESS)
-> I am not running multiple Workstations: CHECK
-> Rerun whonixcheck in Workstation: CHECK (Errors Persist)

Technical Information:
tor_circuit_established_check_exit_code: 255
…timeout_type:
…status:
…port_open_test: 28
Tor Circuit: not established

I have read the other forum topics that are related to this problem, but none seem to have a clear answer or solution

I am running Whonix-Gateway and Workstation 14.0.0.9.9

When I try to run the workstation browser for ipcheck, it says, Secure Connection Failed

I just ran ifconfig on the Workstation and it says

inet 10.152.152.11 netmask 255.255.192.0 broadcast 10.152.191.255

RX Packets 1406 bytes 65044 (63.5 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 1423 bytes 91662 (89.5 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 6633

I have installed a vanilla guest OS on the host and confirmed that is capable of reaching the net and downloading web pages…

I am not sure how to continue troubleshooting, please advise

Hi jkygtiflug

Thanks for the detailed report! Not sure what hypervisor you are using but did you download KVM images from this repo? Note the mistaken “//” in the link.

https://download.whonix.org//libvirt/14.0.0.9.9/

If so, those images are defective and were thought to be deleted. You should download new images if that is the case. See this thread.

forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/sha512-hash-for-whonix-workstation-image-does-not-match-up/5666/3

If not, could you please provide the output of this command. Be sure to redact any sensitive info.

bash -x whonixcheck --function check_tor_socks_port_reachability

Those images are good. The only problem is with the checksum files belonging to an older now overwritten release.

I am running the VMs under https://www.proxmox.com/en/ behind a pfSense firewall, It is proving to be a challenge to get to the output from the command you asked me to run in a manner in which i can cut and paste it. I am using something called noVNC to connect to the machine which doesn’t allow for a cut n paste, however, I can tell you that it exited with EXIT_CODE=1

Since there is no internet connectivity, I can not install SSH on the Workstation, is there anyway to trouble shoot this from another guest OS?

btw, I can ping the gateway from the workstation…

Just re-download. Take snapshots before first-run and start over. Sometimes it’s just quicker that way instead of chasing down obscure bugs that many don’t see. KVM checksum problem has been fixed BTW.

That did the trick, I had a networking configuration issue, I was following a tutorial from this forum, that didn’t have the correct networking setup… Thank you guys for your help