TorBrowser fails to connect, if profile is a smb share

The browser profile is stored in ~/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/, I want to use a profile which is stored on a smb share. I mount the share (cifs.mount by the same user as TorBrowser is executed by) to ~/test and copy the profile.default folder to ~/test. I edit ~/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser to reflect this change and when I execute the script the Broser starts without any issues - but: It cannot connect to websites.

If I umount the smb share and copy the same profile to ~/test There is no issue. I tried this several times to be sure that I am not just unlucky regarding the chosen Tor curcuit.

How is this possible? I spend more than one day now trying to get this working.

Tor Browser inside Whonix vs Tor Browser on Debian differences are minimal and unrelated to your issue. (As per Tor Browser Essentials)

The issue you described would most likely also happen with Tor Browser on Debian. Therefore your issue should be sorted out as per Free Support for Whonix ™ as it is more of a Linux or Tor Browser rather than Whonix specific question.

1 Like