Tor integration in Whonix

by @torjunkie

handy for reference:

Above link still lists:

Version: 0.4.6.9-1~d11.bullseye+1

In other words, not yet available from deb.torproject.org.

Noted.

Version 0.4.7 will be be stable soon enough.

2 Likes

tor_0.4.7.7-1~d11.bullseye+1_amd64.deb

Is now in the testers repository.

2 Likes

Now in stable repository.

Today, we release 0.4.7.8 fixing several issues including a High severity security issue only affecting the 0.4.7.x series. You can track this issue with TROVE-2022-001 and CVE-2021-38385.

Please note that at the moment, the full details of the security issue are not yet public as we are waiting on the OS distribution packages to be updated and the network to be on its upgrade path.

This security issue is not affecting the safety of the tor host system itself and is categorized as a Denial of Service thus affecting performance and possibly anonymity.

We STRONGLY recommend anyone on an earlier version to upgrade as soon as possible to tor 0.4.7.8 (this release). OS packages are on the way!

1 Like

tor 0.4.7.8 not yet available from deb.torproject.org - refer to Tor integration in Whonix - #19 by Patrick on how to check that has changed. Once available, I upload to deb.whonix.org.

tor 0.4.7.8 is now in all repositories.

1 Like

Prerequisite knowledge: Reading above linked announcements. Therefore skipping 0.4.7.9 (introduced new urgency bug) and waiting for 0.4.7.10.

(Tor integration in Whonix - #19 by Patrick)

tor 0.4.7.10 is now in the testers repository.

This is in all repositories for a while now. (Since Whonix 16.0.8.2 - for VirtualBox - Point Release!)

[tor-announce] Tor stable release 0.4.7.11

This is in the testers repository since a few days.

This is now in the stable repository.

do i need to reinstall whonix images or can i just run apt update ?

See updating documentation:

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

[tor-announce] Tor stable release 0.4.5.16 and 0.4.7.13

Above is now in the stable-proposed-updates and testers repository.