Tor denial of service defences

A lot of work currently being done on that, as is:

I wonder, are those issues equally valid when an onion site is set up inside Whonix or are we in a better position?

Equally valid.

Any estimated timeline for that?
The damage so far is huge.

I have no idea. There is nothing that I would know that could be done from the Whonix side. That is totally up to a third party, namely The Tor Project, the developers of Tor.

If that sounds strange, related, you might be interested to read the following to learn more about the relationships:
Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix ™ FAQ

What does Tor DOS issues have to do with Linux user experience…?

Windows users or any OS users aren’t in a better condition.

BTW I replied to sheep. Obviously this isn’t a Whonix issue. Nobody has asked you for a solution, that probably why it’s discussed in “General Tor and Anonymity Talk” and not in “Support”.

Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix FAQ gives context for my answer:

I have no idea. There is nothing that I would know that could be done from the Whonix side. That is totally up to a third party, namely The Tor Project, the developers of Tor.

My answer makes limited sense from a unified perspective “you are using Tor in your product, so why isn’t this your problem”. Not implying this is your attitude or what you thought but this is what a reader might think. When I reply to stuff, I don’t only reply with the author in mind, but with anyone who could read it.

Indeed.

That one I did not notice. Btw if you press the reply button at the very bottom it makes a general answer. If you press an earlier reply button you’ll answer “directly” to a user. There will be a small arrow indicating that after the post.

How’d sheep know the ETA for the solution.

I see this forum discussions more as a general discussion where names who said what is nice for attribution but otherwise focused on subjects rather than names. In other words, I act a bit as if each post was made by anonymous. Often I write replies to things without looking first who wrote it.

Indeed.

I see.

Main takeaway from Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix ™ FAQ being:
Don’t know, and better ask the source: upstream, namely The Tor Project.

I believe I saw somewhere they mentioned “we will work on this issue during the next months”. So, it isn’t a quick fix.