Tor Before VPN - apt-get problem

I’ve followed the instructions in Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN (system doesn’t let me include links)

Now I can ping, I can browse (including deb.whonix DOT org and deb.debian DOT org with quick response times), curl and wget work well too, but when I run

sudo apt-get update

it gets stuck for long minutes, finally fails with

Read error - read (104: Connection reset by peer) Reading the greet back from SOCKS proxy socks5h://127.0.0.1:9050 failed [IP: 127.0.0.1 9050]

Running whonixcheck, I get:

[WARNING] [whonixcheck] Debian Package Update Check Result: Could not check for software updates! (apt-get code: 100)

Running sudo apt-get-update-plus dist-upgrade, I get:

Reading package lists…
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Sometimes I get the above error for sudo apt-get update too.

I tried several times, including restarting the machine. Doesn’t look like any particular circuit because the problem is always only with apt-get. Can’t be the VPN speed since I can even load and watch full youtube videos, no issues except for apt-get update.

I’m on 15.0.0.4.9

– I now realize the lock issue was temporary, anyway running sudo apt-get-update-plus dist-upgrade -y now gets stuck for ages and then gives the same error as sudo apt-get update:

Read error - read (104: Connection reset by peer) Reading the greet back from SOCKS proxy socks5h://127.0.0.1:9050 failed [IP: 127.0.0.1 9050]

Any ideas how to pinpoint the problem? Anyone managed to get this setup running and working with apt-get on 15.0.0.4.9 ?

I also tried

sudo apt-get.anondist-orig update

and got same results.

I also got DNS properly configured. Running

nslookup check.torproject.org

returns

Server: 10.6.0.1
Address: 10.6.0.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: check.torproject.org
Address: 138.201.14.212

Which virtualizer?

Apt sources list? Cannot use onions or tor+

VirtualBox

The default lists.

Yes, this was the problem. I now removed all the “tor+” and it works smoothly.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Added to documentation just now.

Connecting to Tor before a VPN